useful publications?

Stephen Peters

Apr 18, 2013, 6:30:51 PM4/18/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some input.  What publications do you read to stay on top of what's happening in software development, IT, the tech world in general?

Does anyone still read print or is it all online magazines & blogs these days?

Doing some research for work on what's useful, relevant and/or important.

- Steve

Vlad Patryshev

Apr 18, 2013, 8:41:32 PM4/18/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
What does it mean, "stay on top"? Does it involve understanding, or just learning new words, like what's the current value of N in Web.N.0?

Thanks,
-Vlad

Tommy Chheng

Apr 19, 2013, 2:08:48 PM4/19/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,
Thoughtworks usually releases a report every few months on new tech trends: http://www.thoughtworks.com/insights

Additionally, i just released an ebook which a non-technical guide to today's web technologies.
@tommychheng

Blaine Wishart

Apr 19, 2013, 3:45:31 PM4/19/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Stephen Peters <ste...@fpcomplete.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some input.  What publications do you read to stay on top of what's happening in software development,

PragPub. Published by Pragmatic, edited by Michael Swaine of the late, lamented Dr. Dobbs. It does not even have a print edition.

IT, the tech world in general?
Technology Review published by MIT
PLOS journals & once again it does not even have a print edition

To (attempt to) understand how technology is understood more broadly I scan for articles in the New Yorker, Atlantic and New York Review of Books + NYT.

Thanks to Twitter and (especially) Prismatic I get far more recommendations than I can handle and I get them in real time.

Even when I have a print subscription, 90% of my actual reading is using the digital edition. I really wish we had better quality ebook readers. Getting content is not hard tools for taking notes, creating bookmarks at a useful level of granularity, leaving a good time oriented trace is hard.

Does anyone still read print or is it all online magazines & blogs these days?

Doing some research for work on what's useful, relevant and/or important.

- Steve

/blaine