Sc2gears on mac won't open

Luke Hanna

Feb 27, 2015, 8:58:14 AM2/27/15
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com

So I've just started getting back into Starcraft and started by attempting to reinstall Sc2gears, however now I've moved to playing on a mac and I've never used Sc2gears on a mac. I downloaded it and extracted it into the Starcraft folder, his the os-x command, and a terminal window popped up. Nothing happened after that. I tried reinstalling/updating java and it just does the same thing. I also tried the chmod -x thing in the download guide on sc2 gears, still nothing. Hope you guys can help!
Attached is a picture of the terminal window that pops up when I attempt to run the os-x command.

András Belicza

Feb 27, 2015, 2:07:21 PM2/27/15
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The error message means your Java cannot run Sc2gears (because your Java is an old version). Sc2gears requires Java 7.0, and your Java is 6.0 or earlier.

Note that on MAC-OS-X it is possible to install multiple versions of Java, but only one can be the default/active. And even if you have Java 7.0, the 6.0 might be default and that is used to start Sc2gears.

I'm not an OS-X guru, google around how to remove older Java versions or how to make the 7.0 or the 8.0 version the default.

P.S. You can check which java is the default by running the command: "java -version".

Ilan Kleiman

Jun 13, 2015, 11:27:31 AM6/13/15
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting the same error when attempting to run SC2 Gears.
When I attempt to update Java; it tells me that I'm up to date.

This is what I get when I run: java -version

java version "1.6.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-466.1, mixed mode)

Upon re-installing Java I get the same error (java 8)

Ilan Kleiman

Jun 13, 2015, 11:50:40 AM6/13/15
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com

András Belicza

Jun 13, 2015, 3:00:34 PM6/13/15
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com
Glad you could find a fix, and thanks for sharing it. I don't have a MAC and so I can't be more helpful other than what you can find by Googling. Fortunately the link you provided works for you and hopefully for many others.