Real time stats tracking (can sc2gears be used for this?)

Richard Baxter

Jul 24, 2014, 6:39:22 PM7/24/14
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm interesting in recording live stats as a game is played (preferably without OCR or memory reading).

Please excuse my ignorance with SC2 apis and such, I'm a professional developer and love watching SC2 pro games, but I've not dug around the code side of things yet.

I see sc2gears can read the APM as the game is running (i.e. in real time rather than from reply). Can sc2gears be used to read other stats?

My longer question is how is the APM read in sc2gears? I've read you can get that info from reading the registry. My only other guess is that a reply file is generated as the game is played and sc2gears reads that?

Again, sorry for my ignorance, I'm not a 'noob' (so to speak :p) but I am new to the sc2 tech and just not had the time to really dig into it yet.

Any info would help me out a lot. I basically want to create a utility that'll read sc2 games' vital stats and then display then to a website in real time as they happen. This would as an 'automatic live commentary' for games that are not casted (like in some tournaments when there are multiple concurrent matches). I'd love to have some of the vital stats updating on a website to get a glimpse of what games are going. Basically to be able to 'see' which games are looking interesting so one could switch to that stream. Or sometimes I simply can't stream at work but want to follow game progresses (real life sports have live text commentary like this, why not have it for SC2, is my question)

So I know there are other hurdles, first is what information would be useful to display without being overwhelming is not a trivial task, second is that this assumes the tournament organisers would run something like this in the background.

Ignoring those minor (lol) issues is it technically possible?

Thanks for any help!

David Joerg

Jul 24, 2014, 10:07:29 PM7/24/14
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com

The technical approach is the most feasible one: a mod that outputs data into a text file which is then read by some other code running on the same computer.

Replays are not written out in real-time unfortunately.

András Belicza

Jul 25, 2014, 2:38:33 AM7/25/14
to sc2g...@googlegroups.com

As David said the replay is only written after the game. The Windows registry only provides a minimal set of information, not even the players' names. Most important ones being the game status and your (only your) APM.

If more info would be disclosed during the game, it could be used easily for hacking (gaining unfair advantage) so don't count on that.

Your best option is game mods and custom maps like GameHeart.