Re: Open Source History: Why Did Linux Succeed?

Nomen Nescio

May 12, 2015, 3:35:49 AM5/12/15
In article <d79bb642481c54e8...@remailer.cpunk.us>
Jack Ryan <nor...@remailer.cpunk.us> wrote:

> > In article <0784b2fbb578a2d4...@anemone.mooo.com>
> > Jeremy Bentham <nob...@anemone.mooo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> http://thevarguy.com/open-source-application-software-
> >> companies/050415/open-source-history-why-did-linux-succeed
> >

> >> Why Did Linux Succeed?
> >
> > It didn't.
>
> Such a biased, foolish statement. Have a look at almost any
> Linux system out today and there is no way you can make such a
> claim. There is nothing that you can't do with Linux today that
> you can be done with Windows. Linux has not been handed over to

Wanna give that a go again?

> the feds per their request as Windows is to impregnate the OS with
> backdoors for easy government spying. I was never a Linux fan

Name one Windows back door created for this alleged purpose.

> until that started happening. Linux is not only very good today,
> it is continuously improving. It will be my next OS since W8+ has
> been proven to be a chunk of MS and government spyware. The only

You're full of shit. There's no spyware in Windows 8. It
actually runs quite good and incorporates modern VPN security
beyond the capabilities of many Linux distros. If you know how
to read the slightest bit, you can configure a really slick user
environment with a minimum of effort.

You can turn off everything you don't want running in about 60
seconds. Are you telling us a 10-year-old kid is smarter than
you?

> problem with Linux now is the incorporation of systemd obscureware.
> BSD and Slackware are not going down that road and may be much
> more secure as a result. Slackware did have a security problem
> recently however, so beware.

Every OS has security issues. They always will.

Bubba

May 12, 2015, 9:16:49 AM5/12/15
"There's nothing to see here, move along..."

--
Bub

Zax

May 12, 2015, 9:54:11 AM5/12/15
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.privacy.anon-server.]
On Tue, 12 May 2015 09:35:30 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote in
>> the feds per their request as Windows is to impregnate the OS with
>> backdoors for easy government spying. I was never a Linux fan
>
> Name one Windows back door created for this alleged purpose.
Only those with access to the source code can really answer that
question.

>> until that started happening. Linux is not only very good today,
>> it is continuously improving. It will be my next OS since W8+ has
>> been proven to be a chunk of MS and government spyware. The only
>
> You're full of shit. There's no spyware in Windows 8. It
> actually runs quite good and incorporates modern VPN security
> beyond the capabilities of many Linux distros.
Really? How do you quantify that Windows VPN is beyond the capabilities
of other OS's? In my experience, it tends to lag behind when it comes
to integrating ciphers.

> If you know how to read the slightest bit, you can configure a really
> slick user environment with a minimum of effort.
I wouldn't dispute that, Windows is a slick user environment.

> You can turn off everything you don't want running in about 60
> seconds. Are you telling us a 10-year-old kid is smarter than
> you?
You can turn off all the things you can click boxes to turn off. What
goes on under the covers is a mystery as the code isn't publicly
available.

>> problem with Linux now is the incorporation of systemd obscureware.
>> BSD and Slackware are not going down that road and may be much
>> more secure as a result. Slackware did have a security problem
>> recently however, so beware.
>
> Every OS has security issues. They always will.
True, but security degrades as the OS bloats. It's very hard in Windows
to compile a kernel that does just enough to run, say, a webserver.
It's very hard to minimise the OS installation to just the libraries and
network components needed for that task. When I say hard, I'm really
implying impossible as Windows isn't modular in nature and the kernel
isn't user compilable.

I like Windows and I use it for my desktop. (Putty is a lovely
application.) Windows certainly has a place and that place is behind a
NAT device and a firewall.

--
pub 1024D/228761E7 2003-06-04 Steven Crook <st...@mixmin.net>
Key fingerprint = 1CD9 95E1 E9CE 80D6 C885 B7EB B471 80D5 2287 61E7

chrisv

May 12, 2015, 10:08:47 AM5/12/15
Zax wrote:
Good post! We rarely see posts of such quality in cola. Too many
Linux-hating trolls, here.

--
'(Linux is) designed for a "community"?????????????????????
Hahahahha. Whats that? A group of people who dont want to buy

Anonymous

May 12, 2015, 11:07:17 AM5/12/15
I just hate it when such (bub) ignorance shows up on this NG.

Anonymous

May 12, 2015, 11:47:35 AM5/12/15
<snip>

> I like Windows and I use it for my desktop. (Putty is a lovely
> application.) Windows certainly has a place and that place is behind a
> NAT device and a firewall.

...that is never connected to the web and is used only within an
RF shielded enclosure.

Anyone who says that Windows is not compromised after it was
voluntarily given to the feds to make secret modifications, is a
complete fool (or a deceiving fed themself). Anyone using an Intel
computer that runs a completely independent OS chip that sits on
top of the regular cpu is also a complete fool. All Windows OS's
and Intel computers ARE compromised. So go ahead and refuse to
admit it, make the fed's, Microsoft's, and Intel's day. At the
same time, wake up every morning and say to yourself, I am not a
complete fool!