ipython sandstorm hosting

Monty Zukowski

Feb 2, 2015, 12:10:50 PM2/2/15
to sandst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm teaching a beginning Python class on Friday and was thinking to
use sandstorm with iPython. My first question is: could (and should) I
get this hosted on alpha.sandstorm.io? If not I'll go ahead and set up
a linux account somewhere for this purpose.

This seems to be a perfect use case for sandstorm, I plan on writing
up a "how to" and possibly doing a screencast for this.

At a high level I'd like to:

1. set up iPython
2. add the python library I need
3. hand out an account for each student
4. let them have a week after the class to play and/or save their work
5. remove the accounts after that time

Monty

Asheesh Laroia

Feb 2, 2015, 12:41:46 PM2/2/15
to Monty Zukowski, sandst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Monty!

I'm so excited that you're interested in trying Sandstorm for your intro Python class. It means a lot to me because I've helped out with a variety of intro programming in Python events over the years.

We probably don't have capacity for your students on alpha.sandstorm.io, so I'd recommend setting it up yourself. So I recommend getting a Linux virtual machine somewhere and installing Sandstorm on it. We don't have a way to auto-remove accounts that I know of, but if the class is over, you could simply tell students you'll delete their data, and then destroy the machine entirely. (The Sandstorm app does support a demo mode -- https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm/wiki/Demo-mode -- but the data auto-deletion period is not currently customizable.)

For the Python libraries you need to add, you may want to dig into the IPython Notebook package (to find the source: visit https://sandstorm.io/apps/ => navigate to IPython Notebook => click "Code: On GitHub" => Find yourself at https://github.com/jparyani/ipython/tree/sandstorm-2 ) and fork it.

Make local modifications, and then follow the Porting Guide at https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm/wiki/Porting-Guide

Having said that, I don't see the "sandstorm-files.list" file, nor the "sandstorm-pkgdef.capnp" file in the repo there. Jason, since you're the last committer there, I wonder -- do you have those and can you add them to that branch perhaps?

I'm really excited to see what you write up, Monty, in terms of tutorials or screencasts.

Monty

Jason Paryani

Feb 2, 2015, 3:06:55 PM2/2/15
to Asheesh Laroia, Monty Zukowski, sandst...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I had forgotten to include the sandstorm packaging files in the repository (https://github.com/jparyani/ipython/tree/sandstorm-2). This is now fixed, and I also added a little guide to the top of the README showing how packaging IPython for Sandstorm should go. Please let me know if you run into any trouble.