Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

SMUUF NEWS

no leída,
13 ene 2017, 11:39:1513/1/17
a San Marcos UU Fellowship

SMUUF Logo.JPG

The UCM Center

510 N. Guadalupe St.

San Marcos, Texas 78666

You can find information on PARKING here.

THE SMUUF FRIDAY FLASH

Friday, January 13 , 2017

Monday, January 16

San Marcos Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration
Dunbar Recreation Center
(More information in this Flash.)

TWO WEEKS AT A GLANCE

SOCIAL JUSTICE

DONATE-THE-PLATE

TEAM MEETING

Sun. Jan. 15

9:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m

UCM Fellowship Hall

Jeannie Lewis,

Social Justice Team Leader

jea...@centurytel.net

WORSHIP

“Remembering the Past, Resisting for the Future”

DONATE-THE-PLATE:

Head Start Home Visiting

Sun. Jan. 15

11:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.

UCM Sanctuary

Rev. Scottie McIntyre Johnson

SMUUF Minister

mini...@smuuf.org

CHILDREN’S RE TEAM

MONTHLY MEETING

Sun. Jan. 15

12:30 - 2:00 p.m.

Laura Johnson,

CRE Team Leader

lauraan...@hotmail.com

SAN MARCOS MLK MARCH & CELEBRATION

Mon. Jan. 16

March from Hays Co. Courthouse: 10:00 a.m.

Program & Peace Pie Social -  11:00 a.m., Dunbar Center

Family Fun: 12:00  - 4:00 p.m. Dunbar Center

Jeannie Lewis,

Social Justice Team Leader

jea...@centurytel.net

SMUUF SEWING GUILD

WEEKLY MEETING

Wed. Jan. 18

10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Ann Allen’s home in Martindale, TX

Ann Allen,

Sewing Guild Facilitator

aall...@austin.rr.com

CHOIR PRACTICE

Wed. Jan. 18

7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

UCM Sanctuary

Gayle Gaston,

Choir Director

gasto...@gmail.com

MEMBERSHIP & CARING

MONTHLY MEETING

Thur. Jan. 19
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Bev Stokes’ home in

San Marcos, TX

Laura Haygood,

M & C Team Leader

lyha...@gmail.com

WORSHIP

A Mostly Music Service

With Local/Global Band

“THE DEER”

Sun. Jan 22

11:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.

UCM Sanctuary

Joel Johnson,

SMUUF Music Team

jmjoh...@hotmail.com

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

MONTHLY MEETING

Sun. Jan. 22

12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

UCM Board Room

Chick Morgan,

Board President

morgan...@me.com

http://smuuf.org/calendar/

This Weekend at SMUUF

SMUUF Social Justice Donate-the-Plate Committee
will meet this Sunday - 9:30 to 10:45 a.m.

in the UCM Fellowship Hall.

All SMUUF meetings are open to all.
For more information, contact Social Justice Chair Jeannie Lewis,

(jea...@centurytel.net; 512-353-2872)

Sunday Worship

January 15 - 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.

UCM Sanctuary

Rev. Scottie McIntyre Johnson, preaching
Marissa Fehler, Worship Associate

Joel Johnson, Musician

“Remembering the Past, Resisting for the Future”

Reflections for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

DONATE-THE-PLATE PARTNER
will be Hays Co. Head Start’s
Home Visiting Program

Once a month, we donate  all cash and designated checks from our offering plate to a non-profit community organization which shares our Unitarian Universalist values. Texas Home Visiting will use the money donated to purchase bilingual books and other curriculum specific materials. Texas Home Visiting is a part of Community Action, Inc.'s Head Start program that provides in-home parent coaching and developmental support services to low-income families with children from birth to kindergarten entry in Hays County.

Make checks to “SMUUF” and write “Head Start” in the memo line.
If you won’t be at church this Sunday but would like to contribute, mail a check to
SMUUF - P.O. Box 1053 - San Marcos, TX 78667

FUUDies will dine at Nostimo’s Mediterranean Cafe
after worship this Sunday.

206 W. San Antonio St.  - San Marcos, TX 78666

The Fantastic UU Diners (FUUDies) dine together after church
at various restaurants. We welcome you to join us.

Please come find Jeannie Lewis or Lee Bricker (pictured)
following the worship service, so they’ll know to save a seat for you!

Children’s Religious Education Team
will meet this Sunday @ 12:30 p.m.

in the UCM Board Room downstairs.

All SMUUF meetings are open to all.
For more information, contact CRE Team Leader Laura Johnson

(lauraan...@hotmail.com; 512-940-4608)

 Children’s Religious Education Classes
will meet this Sunday
 during the 11 o’clock worship time.

For more information about Children’s RE, contact
CRE Team Leader Laura Johnson
(
lauraan...@hotmail.com; 512-940-4608) or
Teacher Coordinator Thema Markwalter
(
thema...@gmail.com; 512-584-7264).

“The Bunnies” (babies and toddlers 6 months to 2 years old)
are cared for in the Beatrix Potter Room in our RE wing downstairs.
Babies and toddlers are also welcome to remain in the service
with their families during worship.
Feel free to walk around with your young child
at the back of the sanctuary
or take a fussy child into the foyer
where you can hear the service through a speaker.
“Bunny” teachers this Sunday will be Robyn Kendrick & Laura Johnson..

“Chalice Children” (3 to 6 year olds)
meet in the Dr. Seuss Room  in our RE wing downstairs.
Chalice Children are encouraged to spend the first part
of the worship time (about 20 minutes) in the sanctuary with their families
so that our whole congregation may gather together as a church family.
After the Welcome, Chalice Lighting, Call to Worship, Opening Hymn,
Spoken Affirmation, and Time for All Ages,
teachers will lead the children downstairs for their class.
Pre-school children are also welcome to remain in the sanctuary
with their families for the entire worship service.
Teachers this Sunday will be Deana Pinales & Lynn Williams.

Elementary school-aged children (Grades 2 - 5)
meet in the Susan B. Anthony Room  in our RE wing downstairs.

Using the UUA Tapestry of Faith curriculum, “Faithful Journeys”,
these children explore how Unitarian Universalism
 translates into life choices and everyday actions.

Children begin the morning with their families in the worship service
and leave for class with their teachers after about 20 minutes.
Lead teacher for this class is Emily Cross.

Learn more

Coming Up at SMUUF

Monday, January 16
Dunbar Heritage Association presents

10:00 a.m. - Silent March
From the Hays Co. Courthouse to Dunbar Recreation Center
SMUUF Members & Friends are encouraged to march
and attend the festivities at Dunbar Park.
Wear your yellow “Standing on the Side of Love” tee-shirts!

11:00 a.m. - Program & Peace Pie Social
Dunbar Recreation Center
801 W. Martin Luther King Dr. - San Marcos, TX

12:00 to 4:00 p.m. - Family Fun Day
Dunbar Recreation Center
801 W. Martin Luther King Dr. - San Marcos, TX
Movies - Live Entertainment - Vendors - Food - Fun!

SMUUF members will again partner with Jackson Chapel
and Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos
to provide free pieces of pie to all
who participate in the San Marcos MLK Day events.
It’s a wonderful occasion
where everyone gets a piece of the pie!
We have plenty of pies and helpers.
Thanks to everyone who has volunteered!

Some of the SMUUF members donating pies to the MLK Day Peace Pie Social are, from left to right: Laura Haygood, Melissa Wabnitz, Sarah Wren, Bev Stokes, Earlene Graham, Jeannie Lewis (Organizer), Jeanne Garthwaite, Kate Clayton, Gil Fulmer.  Not pictured but also donating pies are Garrie Borden, Betty Dewsnap, Barbara Jacobson, and Lisa Arceneaux.

SMUUF SEWING GUILD
will meet this Wednesday, Jan 18th
and every Wednesday
from
10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
@ Ann Allen’s home in Martindale, TX.

This group sews handmade quilts
for refugee children at the Texas border.
All are welcome to help!
.Donations of fabric, sewing materials
and cash for supplies are also
gratefully accepted.

 Contact: Ann Allen
(
aall...@austin.rr.com; 512-357-2515)

 🎼SMUUF CHOIR

Wed. Jan. 18 - 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
UCM Sanctuary
SMUUF choir will meet on Wednesday nights
to prepare music for worship this spring.
New singers and musicians are always needed
and always welcome.
No experience necessary!
ontact:  SMUUF choir director, Gayle Gaston
(512-496-5433;
gasto...@gmail.com)

SMUUF MEMBERSHIP & CARING TEAM
will meet this Thur. Jan 19th from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
@ Bev Stokes’ home - 910 Willow Creek Circle - San Marcos, TX 78666

All SMUUF meetings are open to all!
For more information, contact M & C Team Leader Laura Haygood

(lyha...@gmail.com; 512-757-2773)

Curious about how you can get involved at SMUUF?
Looking for ways to serve our community?
Join us at the "Team Fair"
Jan. 22 - 9:30-10:30 am - UCM Fellowship Hall
You will have an opportunity to talk to team leaders and members
 to find out what they do
and sign up for teams you wish to be a part of.
We hope to see you all then!

SUNDAY JAN. 22
11:00 a.m. - UCM Sanctuary

The SMUUF Music team is super excited
to have local/global band
THE DEER
provide the music for our upcoming
“Mostly Music” worship service.

It's hard to imagine a group with a message
more in line with our congregation’s values.
Please help spread the word! All are welcome!
More information coming soon.
http://www.thedeer.org http://smuuf.org

SUNDAY - JAN. 22 - 12:45 TO 2:00 P.M.
SMUUF BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
UCM Board Room
All SMUUF meetings are open to all.
For more information, contact Board President Chick Morgan
(
morgan...@me.com; 203-451-9051)

Coming Up in the Wider World

Thurs. Jan. 19
#BlackLivesMatter
and the Radical Vision of MLK

SMUUF Members and Friends are invited to
a TX State University event,
“#BlackLivesMatter and the Radical Vision
of Martin Luther King, Jr,”
from 3:30 to 4:45 pm on January 19th
in McCoy 233 at Texas State University.

This event is part of the series, “Interrogating Violence:
Critical Conversations on the Fire This Time”,
and is co-sponsored by the Department of Philosophy,
the Philosophy Dialogues, the Honors College,
the Department of History, and the Center for Diversity and Gender Studies.
SMUUF Member Dr. Jeff Helgeson (History) will moderate the discussion
and panelists include Mikala Everett, Opinion Editor at
The University Star
Dr. Dwight Watson (History), and Dr. Greg Moses (Philosophy).

The dialogue will be followed by an @JusticeTalkTXST
TXST/SMTX Social Justice Happy Hour,
at the Root Cellar Bakery,
215 N. LBJ, San Marcos, TX 78666
from 5:00 to 7:00.
SMUUF members and friends are invited
and welcome to spread the word among
contacts in the community.

Several SMUUF women are planning to participate in the
Women’s March on Austin - Sat. Jan. 21 - 12 noon

TO RESERVE A RIDE ON THE BUS GOING FROM SAN MARCOS TO AUSTIN,
GO TO
http://rallybus.net/womens-march-on-austin-tx
OR CONTACT KATE CLAYTON (
clayton....@yahoo.com
ABOUT CARPOOLING AND FOR MORE INFORMATION.
For more information about the event, see
https://www.facebook.com/womensmarchonaustin.

The League of Women Voters of Hays County
Wine and Beer Tasting
Thursday, January 26,
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Quail Creek Country Club.

This is the only fundraiser the League has each year
to fund their Voters Guides and Candidates Debates.
The League is a non-profit, non-partisan organization
that never supports or opposes and candidate or party.
Their motto is “Making Democracy Work”
and our UU Principles state that we affirm and promote
the “use of the democratic process within our congregations
 and within society at large.”
McPherson Cellars Winery in Lubbock has won the
Grand Champion Prize at Pacific Rim
and Hops and Grain Brewery in Austin has a 4 1/2 star rating out of 5.
Both organizations will be there to feature their excellent products.
There are usually four to six different tastings of each wine and beer,
scrumptious hors d’oeuvres and a great Silent Auction!
Tickets are $20 each.
Contact Jeannie Lewis at jea...@centurytel.net
or (512) 353-2872 to purchase tickets.

Southwest UU Women’s Conference
 February 10-12 - Dallas, TX - Magnolia Hotel

Priscilla Leder, will be a nominee for the Southwest UU Women’s Board
to replace long-time SWUUW Board Member,
Jeannie Lewis, who is resigning.
Priscilla will be traveling to Dallas for the February 10-12 SWUUW Conference and is interested in carpooling.  Contact Priscilla at ple...@centurytel.net.

SWUUW is a non-profit organization supporting
Unitarian Universalist women in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas.. Their annual conference, “Hearts and Hands: Joining for Justice” will bring UU women together to share knowledge, adventure, music, and camaraderie.

For more information and to register go to http://www.swuuw.org.
 Registration ends 1/26/17.

Sharing & Caring

Many thanks to December's Hospitality Team 6: the Gardner family, the Mylius family, and the Helgeson-Halsey family. The kids on Team 6 are absolutely delightful and lend some fun energy to the service!  Others helped out as well, includingKate Clayton,  Billy & Bev Stokes, Judy Telford, Mark Rumple & Ivri Messinger, Lynn Williams, and Laura Haygood.
There may have been others who also pitched in, so thank you to all.
December was a hectic month, but everyone pulled off some super work!

January’s Hospitality Team 7 is composed of Priscilla Leder, Susan Welch, Rebecca Johnston, Mark Rockeymoore, Bob Garthwaite, Jeanne Garthwaite, and Garrie Borden.
For more information about Hospitality Teams,
contact
 Lisa Cradit (lcr...@tlu.edu; 512-393-9054).

Jeff and Monica Rasco will miss everyone at church this Sunday
but will be in Houston celebrating a big birthday!
Jeff's mother,
Joyce Rasco, turns 90 on Monday.
Happy birthday, Joyce!

If you have joys or sorrows, milestones or millstones, church or community news you would like printed, please email the SMUUF Steward email account atsanma...@gmail.com.
We will include it in next week’s Flash.

Please click below to see how to contact

SMUUF Leadership

and how to get an announcement published in the Friday Flash or the Weekly Order of Service.

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos