Unicode not working in Adobe Indesign

advaitanjoo

Sep 16, 2015, 9:00:16 PM9/16/15
to samskrita
Dear all,

We are the official publishers of the books of Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati of Arsha Vidya.  We have many publications which necessitate Devanagari fonts, such as Upanishads with bhashyam.  The hurdle we are facing in using Unicode Sanskrit fonts is with our publishing software - Adobe Indesign.  It does not recognise Unicode.  As many of you must be publishers of Sanskrit texts, or may know of others who publish in Unicode Devanagari, would anyone be able to suggest a solution to this issue?  Or could someone suggest publishing software which accepts unicode?  It is very strange that Adobe doesn't support unicode when the whole world is using it!

Thank you - any help is much appreciated.

Nandana Nagraj

Venetia Kotamraju

Sep 18, 2015, 1:45:48 AM9/18/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,
I run Rasala, which publishes bilingual poetry books (Sanskrit - in Devanagari, and English), and we use Latex, or in fact Xetex, which supports Unicode and allows us to handle all of the layout requirements our books have.  It also supports diacritics which means we can use diacritics for the Roman script parts.
We use it on Ubuntu though rather than a Windows OS.
Best
Venetia

Venetia Kotamraju
+91 997230 5440

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Sep 18, 2015, 1:50:48 AM9/18/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Which version are you using?

Taff Rivers

Sep 18, 2015, 1:51:28 AM9/18/15
to samskrita

Nandana,

 Please try the Adobe Community for help with Unicode fonts,  search for Sanskrit.

Taff

parAmbikA

Sep 18, 2015, 1:51:55 AM9/18/15
to samskrita
If you are using older version of Adobe Indesign than CS6 then you can enable Unicode support for Devanagari Script via 3rd party plugin (I'm not affiliated with this product)

Anunad Singh

Sep 18, 2015, 1:41:59 PM9/18/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
My experience is that Unicode Devanagari should NOT be used for making PDF file as of NOW.  There are at least two problems-

1) Many applications are not able to make correct pdf out of Unicode Devanagari. In fact most of them are able to handle ASCII or extended Roman at the most.

2) Some programs (eg OpenOffice) make visibly error-free pdf out of Unicode Devanagari but if somebody tries to extract the Devanagari text from those pdf files afterwards, he gets a mix of Devanagari and Roman and garbage. Not only this, some information is displaced or missing which means you are not able to get the original text even by programmed find/replace.

Both the above problems are not there if you use, for example, Krutidev etc for Devanagari.

-- Anunad

parAmbikA

Sep 18, 2015, 1:42:44 PM9/18/15
to samskrita

On Thursday, 17 September 2015 06:30:16 UTC+5:30, advaitanjoo wrote:
Dear Nandana Nagraj,
Which version of Adobe Indesign are using? Adobe has started supporting Unicode for Indic, Arabic Languages from Adobe Indesign CS6 by introducing a feature called World ready composer. Please refer this link for more and better understanding.

G S S Murthy

Sep 19, 2015, 2:01:14 AM9/19/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Anunadji,
Could you please give more details about, " for example, Krutidev etc for Devanagari." Is Krutidev a converter app? Can one download it?
Thanks,
Murthy

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Sep 19, 2015, 9:59:28 PM9/19/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Adobe InDesign fully supports Unicode Devanagari now since CS6.

Prior to CS6.
  • CS2, CS3 etc needed seperate commercial plugin IndicPlus etc.
  • CS4 introduced Indic scripts supporting 'World Ready Composer' but was not enabled by default (same case with CS5). There was no options in user interface to enable this. Some scripts etc are available on internet to do this.
    Some commerical products like Word Tools (CS4  onwards), ScribeDOOR (CS5 onwards) enable this World Ready Composer via their plugins.
  • Middle Eastern (ME) versions have Indic scripts support. No need to do any additional settings, just change text direction settings to 'left to right'.
Version CS6 provided user interface settings to enable World Ready Composer. The settings are described in this adobe blog post.

Version CC (Creative Cloud) also has CS6 like settings.

--

BTW, simple book composing can also be done in CorelDraw X7 which has full Indic Unicode support enabled by default.

Shrish Benjwal Sharma (श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If u can't beat them, join them.

ePandit.NET

Anunad Singh

Sep 19, 2015, 9:59:35 PM9/19/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Krutidev10 (कृतिदेव10) is a legacy font for Devanagari, which means it is NOT Unicode. It is perhaps the most popular Devanagari legacy font. There are free font converters available to convert Unicode Devanagari to Kritidev10 and vice versa. One such program is-

कृतिदेव_10 <==> यूनिकोड (नवीनतम)

You may find many more font converters here-

https://sites.google.com/site/technicalhindi/home/converters

More information about Krutidev font :
https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B5_%28%E0%A4%AB%E0%A5%89%E0%A4%A3%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%9F%29

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM, G S S Murthy <murt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (murt...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

Anunadji,
Could you please give more details about, " for example, Krutidev etc for Devanagari." Is Krutidev a converter app? Can one download it?
Thanks,
Murthy

Taff Rivers

Sep 19, 2015, 9:59:39 PM9/19/15
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley

Anunad,

   The matter is not quite so simple.

      First, a pdf includes a list of the fonts that it uses - along with their properties.
      Look at the menu bar of the pdf viewer to obtain the information as appears in the attached .png.

     The pdf creator may have used legacy Encoding (Ansi) fonts, in which case the app used (in this example from the free Foxit Reader)
 to view the extracted text should be configured to use that font, which in turn needs to be present on the viewer's computer.
     Likewise for Unicode.

There is no need to rely on Adobe when it comes to reading /extracting a pdf.
As for writing pdf's, rather than reading them, I can't speak, but up to date information advising of the availability of the IndicPlus* addon has been given already.

  Taff

    * http://metadesignsolutions.com/product/indicplus-indesign-plugin-cs4-cs5-cs5-5-cs6/
- Fonts.png

G S S Murthy

Sep 20, 2015, 12:12:41 AM9/20/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Anunadji.
Regards
Murthy

Anunad Singh

Sep 23, 2015, 7:20:28 AM9/23/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I doubt the truth of your statement that a pdf reader software needs
to find the legacy font used in the pdf file to display it properly.
In fact, they argue that the main beauty of pdf is that you do not
need to install the fonts used in it. Practically, I read many
Devanagari files daily without having the fonts used in them (eg
Krutidev10) on my computer.

I am aware of the fact that one can see the information about the
fonts used in the pdf file. I do not know the exact purpose of
providing this information, but I use it for converting the pdf file
to a text (Unicode Devanagari) file whenever needed.

Taff Rivers

Sep 23, 2015, 4:14:43 PM9/23/15
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Anunad,

  ==> I doubt the truth of your statement that a pdf reader software needs
  ==> to find the legacy font used in the pdf file to display it properly.

    It is not clear as to whose statement you are referring to, I assume it is mine.

    What it is clear though, is that you misread and misquote these postings.

   The issue is the ability, or otherwise, to view extracted text in the desired font.

   A pdf will indeed embed all but the most universal of standard Latin fonts, thus to be trully a formatted portable document.

    However, obtaining readable text from a pfd is another matter.

    As these postings tell you, readability requires not only the presence of the original font on the users machine,
    but also the presence of the target font.
    Not to mention access to a utility to convert the one to the other.

    But first, it will be necessary to know what that original font embedded or not, actually is, which the pdf itself can tell you.

    Although pdf password protection* and its usage of commercial fonts, may further complicate the issue...

Taff

    Analyst/programmer

    *  The Indian Government apparently, provides a Java script to reveal such passwords.

    I love the smell of bytes in the morning.

CHANDRA SEKHAR

May 9, 2017, 9:16:33 AM5/9/17
to samskrita
WHETHER PROBLEM SOLVED SIR

Taff Rivers

May 9, 2017, 11:53:33 AM5/9/17
to samskrita
CHANDRA,

  Update yourself here for IndicPlus Adobe InDesign Plugins.

Try before you buy.

http://metadesignsolutions.com/products/downloads/

Taff

Sathya CR

May 13, 2017, 12:48:02 PM5/13/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sir namaste , iam doing my Sanskrit work with InDesign. It's accepting  .   Sathya

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (eddie...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info