Starter Salt questions

Walter Kelt

Oct 20, 2017, 4:16:00 PM10/20/17
to Salt-users
I am relatively new to Salt. Hoping to get pushed up the learning curve with answers to the following high level questions:

1: is it true that the Salt master does NOT run on ms windows ??

2: in masterless mode, does the salt minion have an api that applications can use to communicate with the minion ? How could I enable local apps
   to communicate with the minion ?

3: I can't seem to find a Saltstack plugin for Bamboo that would enable it to communication to a Salt Master ?? (yes, not a Saltstack question but I'm assuming
    that we have a bunch of continuous deployment folks in the forum). I do realize that there is a plugin for Jenkins, but we've got Bamboo already setup in house.

thanks in advance for your responses.

walter

Daniel Wallace

Oct 20, 2017, 4:19:18 PM10/20/17
to Salt-users
1) Windows as a salt master is supported with 2017.7

2) It does not exactly, there is a webhooks engine that could be used on the salt minion, that allows you to trigger the reactor engine from webhook calls https://blog.gtmanfred.com/masterless-reactor.html

3) I do not know anything about bamboo, but if one does not exist, you could write one, and include it using dynamic modules, or submit it upstream.

Walter Kelt

Oct 20, 2017, 11:23:52 PM10/20/17
to Salt-users
Thanks for the response. I have googled around looking for Windows Salt Master support and have not found anything. Can you provide a link detailing/announcing windows master support ? Thnx