Windows Server 2012 Support

Stefan Büringer

May 10, 2016, 10:33:43 AM5/10/16
to Salt-users
Hi,

i'have read on https://docs.saltstack.com/en/develop/topics/installation/windows.html that "The 64bit installer has been tested on Windows 7 64bit and Windows Server 2008R2 64bit. The 32bit installer has been tested on Windows 2003 Server 32bit.".

What does this mean regarding the Windows Server 2012 support? Just that the installer has not been tested there or really that it doesn't work on this OS.

If it just hasn't been tested on Windows Server 2012, would it be possible to add this OS to the supported OS?

M_Smith

May 10, 2016, 10:56:46 AM5/10/16
to Salt-users
Can't speak to whether or not it's been tested, but in my use case, it's working fine so far.  Is there something specific you need to verify?

Stefan Büringer

May 10, 2016, 11:09:23 AM5/10/16
to Salt-users
Thanks for the information so far.

We're about to implement some kind of installer mainly for Linux environments (SLES/RHEL), but it should also work on Windows 2008/2012. So I guess our use case is just if the "normal" states work on Win2012 (copy files, mkdir, execute scripts, templating,..)
or if there will be some fundamental problems, we have to deal with.

Lorenzo Marschall

May 10, 2016, 12:39:43 PM5/10/16
to Salt-users
We're using salt on many Windows Servers - 2008R2 up to 2012R2 - without any limitations so far. We're using salt states, powershell scripts, AD interaction - everything without problems.

David Boucha

May 10, 2016, 1:10:03 PM5/10/16
to salt users list
Salt should work just fine on 32bit Windows Server 2012. I think at the time we wrote that doc we couldn't find a 32 bit cloud vm to test on.

Stefan Büringer

May 11, 2016, 1:48:35 AM5/11/16
to Salt-users
But it is not restricted to only 32bit, i guess?

akj8...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 11:13:50 AM8/31/16
to Salt-users
Hello.

We wanted to test salt-minion on windows servers. While starting salt-minion on windows servers 2003R2 and 2008R2 Datacenter (both 64 bit) we faced and exception using wmi library.

The exception is this:
AttributeError: winmgmts:.Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration

I really appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem.

Thanks.

Markus Kramer

Sep 30, 2016, 11:06:32 AM9/30/16
to Salt-users
Did you use the 64bit or the 32bit installer?

Abolfazl Kazemi

Oct 1, 2016, 12:45:41 PM10/1/16
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely 64bit installer.