using mysql returners

Stephan Looney

Mar 24, 2015, 12:32:34 PM3/24/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
When using returners,is there a way to avoid having the minions access the database directly to insert the data?
in my environment I only have 4505 and 4506 TCP exposed to the minions. Maybe I am just missing something....seems like the returner would post the data back to the master and insert to the DB from a singular location...

Thanks for the help!

Stephan Looney

Mar 28, 2015, 3:02:39 PM3/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
any one in here know what the expected behavior is on this?

UnlimitedMoops

Mar 28, 2015, 9:21:26 PM3/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
My take on the documentation at http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/returners/ is that the mysql returner should work for you.

David Boucha

Mar 28, 2015, 10:01:57 PM3/28/15
to salt users list

What you want is called the master job cache

UnlimitedMoops

Mar 28, 2015, 10:40:25 PM3/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
The master_job_cache setting might be helpful. It uses the returner system, but on the master.

UnlimitedMoops

Mar 28, 2015, 10:45:16 PM3/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Good - looks like Mr. Boucha has the same conclusion :). I've seen other implementations, like https://speakerdeck.com/ipmb/monitoring-infrastructure-with-saltstack, but they seem to just plant an external returners db on the master so it wouldn't help you.