audit history

Lorrin Nelson

Nov 30, 2016, 9:02:46 PM11/30/16
to Salt-users
Does Salt support storing an audit history of who issued what commands and what the results were?

I've seen the documentation page on the external job cache [1]. However, I'm confused that it sounds like it is is only concerned with returners sending data back from minions. Would it record who issued what commands on the master in the first place, and then tie in the returned results? Ideally, if I had an access control system configured [2], I'd hope the audit log would track command attempts that were denied too.

Thanks
-Lorrin

[1] https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/jobs/external_cache.html#storing-job-results-in-an-external-system
[2] https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/eauth/access_control.html

David Boucha

Nov 30, 2016, 9:33:04 PM11/30/16
to salt users list

Yeah, the job cache records every command run, the user, the timestamp and the result.

The default job cache is file based and only keeps the jobs for 24 hours.

The external job cache allows you to keep that data in a database do you can store it for as long as you like.

I prefer the master job cache because you get the exact same result, but the minions don't know about it. The master puts all the data in. That way only the master needs credentials for your database