Eventual state and Resume interrupted downloads

Eugene Tolmachev

Aug 27, 2015, 11:31:36 AM8/27/15
to Salt-users
Complete Salt newbie here, trying to figure out if it is suitable for managing "fog" devices (IoT)...

My user's session (and consequently the minion uptime) is rather short - maybe half an hour. Would it be reasonable to expect that:
- The requested state will be eventually achieved?
- That package installations requested will resume interrupted downloads?
- That the behavior is the same for Windows and Linux minions and packages?

TIA,
ET.

Colton Myers

Sep 1, 2015, 1:48:01 PM9/1/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I would probably recommend setting `startup_states` in your minion config, so it will run the states the moment it comes up, and get into the correct state as quickly as possible.

That said, interrupted state runs will not be automatically resumed. But since state runs are idempotent, previous progress will be skipped over quickly and it will get back to the work still yet to be done when the states are run again.

In general, Windows and Linux minions act the same.

--
Colton Myers
Core Engineer, SaltStack