Managing data-center specific setting

David Cournapeau

Jun 26, 2016, 11:45:38 AM6/26/16
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been using salt to manage a set of local jenkins slaves in our local vmware server. I am now interested into extending the management for VMs into the cloud (GCE and/or AWS).

As some slaves require access to large data during provisioning, I would like for each data center to have a copy of said files (kept in sync through rsync), so that each VM will access data from its datacenter/cloud provider. What is the best way for each VM to get the data from its datacenter ?

1. obviously, each minion would need to know which datacenter it belongs to
2. the master should somehow keep a mapping for datacenter -> settings

For 1., seems like I could easily set that in the cloud provider configuration, by setting up a grain whose value would be different for each cloud provider

For 2., I could then just use pillar that would depend on the value in the grain(s) set in 1.

Does that make sense ? Is there a simpler way to achieve this ?

Thanks,
David

Onno

Jun 27, 2016, 9:08:24 AM6/27/16
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Shameless plug; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3K706JJ2EI

Could (parts of) this approach help you?

Regards,
Onno

David Cournapeau schreef op 2016-06-26 17:45:
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

David Cournapeau

Jun 27, 2016, 5:41:06 PM6/27/16
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Do you have slides available separately as well by any chance ?