Saltstack IRC

John Simmons

Jun 30, 2017, 10:39:39 AM6/30/17
to Salt-users
Is the saltstack IRC not functioning, or have I been blocked for some reason?

I can join the saltstack IRC at http://webchat.freenode.net, but every time I type something I get "Cannot send to channel: #salt"

Did the availability of that channel change?

Brandon James

Jun 30, 2017, 10:53:22 AM6/30/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
John,

I would appear that someone has disable voice on irc for anyone other than moderators. I am not sure if this is intended or not.

Thomas Phipps

Jun 30, 2017, 10:58:34 AM6/30/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
that is not the case. because of attempts to flood the moderators have turned on the a mode in freenodes servers where you need to be registered with nickserv in order to talk in channel.

apparently saltstackbot is not doing it's job by not informing people of that.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM, John Simmons <simmons...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is the saltstack IRC not functioning, or have I been blocked for some reason?

I can join the saltstack IRC at http://webchat.freenode.net, but every time I type something I get "Cannot send to channel: #salt"

Did the availability of that channel change?

Brandon James

Jun 30, 2017, 11:02:28 AM6/30/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
That would make sense as well. Thanks Thomas!

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Thomas Phipps <whyt...@whytewolf.us> wrote:
[...]

CEO & Founding Member
Address: 16306 Banbury Lane, Bowie MD 21075
Mobile:   240.476-3922

Maayan Apelboim

Aug 10, 2017, 9:57:38 AM8/10/17
to Salt-users
How do I register to nickserv?
When opening the IRC channel I feel all the details including "auth to services" but still get "Cannot send to channel".

Thanks

Daniel Wallace

Aug 10, 2017, 10:14:15 AM8/10/17
to Salt-users
First you need to register, then identify with nickserv, then leave
and rejoin the channel so that it will unblock you.

You will know that you are identified when you can /whois <username>
and the whois returns back something like

```
[gtmanfred] is logged in as gtmanfred
```
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/salt-users/577d65d5-7d61-4dc5-b540-cf3ebb09f547%40googlegroups.com.

Daniel Wallace

Aug 10, 2017, 10:15:02 AM8/10/17
to Salt-users
Here is a link for registration.

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Also, if you /part and then /join the channel, you should not get a
message from saltstackbot if you are identified.