rsync error, or maybe I don't understand saltstack's versioning system

Jachin Rupe

Sep 27, 2016, 4:10:40 PM9/27/16
to Salt-users
hi there

I'm getting the following error when I try to do a salt.states.rsync.synchronized (over salt-ssh if that makes a difference).

----------
         ID: /usr/share/nginx/floyds.barberwindow.com/meteor-app
   Function: rsync.synchronized
     Result: False
    Comment: An exception occurred in this state: Traceback (most recent call last):
               File "/var/tmp/.jachin_b4dd4e_salt/py2/salt/state.py", line 1733, in call
                 **cdata['kwargs'])
               File "/var/tmp/.jachin_b4dd4e_salt/py2/salt/loader.py", line 1652, in wrapper
                 return f(*args, **kwargs)
               File "/var/tmp/.jachin_b4dd4e_salt/py2/salt/states/rsync.py", line 112, in synchronized
                 if result.get('retcode'):
             AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'get'
    Started: 20:07:03.524964
   Duration: 778.917 ms
    Changes:

I did some googling and found issue 35551 that looked exactly like what I was dealing with.

The ticket says it was backported to 2016.3 on August 19th.

I'm running salt-ssh 2016.3.3 (Boron) which looks like it was release on August 19th. More specifically it looks like I have the salt-ssh_2016.3.3+ds-1_all.deb package for Ubuntu 16.04 which looks like it was packaged up August 29th.

So I should have this fix right?

Which means maybe I'm looking at another bug?

Just looking at the source code for the state.rysnc.py from the pull request it looks like maybe I don't have that change.

Maybe I'd have better luck if I install saltstack some way other then the ubuntu packages?

I'm happy to supply more detailed if they'd help.

Thanks.

Thomas Phipps

Sep 27, 2016, 4:56:32 PM9/27/16
to Salt-users
if the release was on aug 19th and the fix for this bug went in the same day. it most likely did not make it in time for the release. but it should be in the next one. releases are often tagged up to a week before the release.

it doesn't matter how you install salt. as long as you have the 2016.3.3 release it will not have that fix. you could download the

however until the release you can download the modules from github. and treat them like custom modules. [you need both the module and the state.]

Thomas Phipps
Linux/Openstack/Logstash

Jachin Rupe

Sep 27, 2016, 5:42:26 PM9/27/16
to Salt-users
Thomas, thanks so much for the reply. I did what you suggested, putting the newer version of the rsync module and state in as custom ones, and... IT WORKED!

Now I just need to write my self a note to clean that up the next time I upgrade saltstack.

Thanks again.