salt-bootstrap.sh behind proxy

David Karlsen

May 15, 2014, 12:29:52 PM5/15/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm using salty vagrant to provision a vagrant box with salt.
It uses salt_bootstrap.sh to boostrap the salt minion.
I'm behind a http(s)-proxy - is there a way to configure proxies for it?

Mike Flood

May 16, 2014, 3:51:41 AM5/16/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
what if you set the environment variable http_proxy in your shell ? Does that
work ?

cheers,

t10t...@gmail.com

May 16, 2014, 11:59:08 AM5/16/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Just add to salt_bootstrap.sh with your environment http_proxy  after "#!/bin/sh"
e.g
--snip--
#!/bin/sh
## My proxy
http_proxy=http://proxy:8080/
https_proxy=http://proxy:8080/
--snip--

Norman Price

May 26, 2015, 5:05:02 PM5/26/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to revisit an old thread.

Having just battled with salt-bootstrap and HTTP proxies, I've just had an epiphany: by default the bootstrap script connects to github
using the git:// protocol, not https://, so all my efforts to configure proxy settings were futile.

Of course, you can alter the git URL (and hence protocol)  using '-g', but is there any reason bootstrap can't default to using https:// when installing from github ? I'd expect a fair slab of users are behind a corporate HTTP proxy, and https:// URLs are going to work regardless.

cheers,

Colton Myers

Jun 1, 2015, 2:47:23 PM6/1/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea, I'm not sure what the implications would be. Mind opening an issue on the salt-bootstrap github repo and we can discuss it there?

--
Colton Myers
Platform Engineer, SaltStack