Configuration File Compatibility

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 25, 2017, 7:18:43 PM4/25/17
to Salt-users
I'm upgrading a Salt master from version 2015.5.3 (Lithium) to 2016.11.4 (Carbon). How can I know if my configuration file is compatible?

Is there a utility or will there be warnings in the log?

Thanks.

tco...@certain.com

Apr 26, 2017, 12:24:38 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
One difference from 2016.3 to 2016.11 that I ran into was in the archive.extracted state. The new version of the state has an argument "enforce_toplevel" set to true by default which won't explode tars unless they contain a single directory at the top level - https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/all/salt.states.archive.html#salt.states.archive.extracted . I'm sure there are other gotchas, so I suppose you could look at release notes and test thoroughly.

Tyler

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 26, 2017, 7:18:33 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
The log seems to give some information. For example it warned me that file_ignore_regex should not longer set to null but an empty list.

This one is less clear to me. I have ipv6 set to false. Must I set it to extry-false?

[WARNING ] Unable to find IPv6 record for "ip-172-31-23-247.us-west-2.compute.internal" causing a 10 second timeout when rendering grains. Set the dns or /etc/hosts for IPv6 to clear this.

Daniel Wallace

Apr 26, 2017, 7:49:25 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
IPv6 is just for connecting to the salt master.

The minion grains around ipv6 are still rendered. There are some
issues where getent does not return a valid ipv6 address when looking
up the ipv6 address for the hostname to provide in grains. If this is
the case, there is a 10 second timeout that happens while the grains
are rendered (specifically on salt-run)

If you set the hostname in the `::1` in /etc/hosts this warning will go away

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 26, 2017, 7:53:41 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
Thanks for the response. My /etc/hosts appears to have that entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

fe00::0 ip6-localnet

ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix

ff02::1 ip6-allnodes

ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Daniel Wallace

Apr 26, 2017, 7:57:07 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
Add `ip-172-31-23-247.us-west-2.compute.internal` to `::1`
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/salt-users/fe9484da-70af-4aeb-a0f8-f2c137736052%40googlegroups.com.

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 26, 2017, 8:05:33 PM4/26/17
to Salt-users
Indeed that worked. Sorry. I'm not yet familiar with IPV6 changes. I just added `ip-172-31-23-247` rather than the fully qualified name.