Automatically use latest Win Repo git repository

Paul Mulvihill

Feb 9, 2016, 9:15:42 AM2/9/16
to Salt-users
Does anyone know if it's possible to hook my salt master into always use the latest copy of the win-repo-ng on git when it comes to windows minions?

I'm currently designing my salt master to work fully from git repos, for scalability, although the win repo side adds some complexity.

I can replicate the win/repo folder structure in my states git repo and that will work perfectly, but this is manual.
This also means that it's isolated from the main repo of sls files managed by salt and the community.
I'd rather my own repo just contains the in house files.

Is there a better way to manage this other than running the cli commands to create a clone. then merge that into my repository, before syncing that out to the boxes?

I've read through the win repo section in the docs and I've played with the win repo section of the salt master config file but not managed to get it to behave how I'd like I'd to.

If it's not possible then that's fine. I'm just curious if anyone has managed to do this.

versions: 2015.8.5

Megan Wilhite

Feb 11, 2016, 6:22:36 PM2/11/16
to Salt-users

Fredrik Averpil

Feb 12, 2016, 3:15:03 AM2/12/16
to Salt-users
Oh, I was actually wondering this too. Perfect, Megan. Will try this!

Paul Mulvihill

Feb 16, 2016, 6:32:20 AM2/16/16
to Salt-users
thanks for that.. i must have missed it on when i was looking into this?

Have you by anychance tried it and got it working?

From what i understand, please correct me if i'm wrong, from that section of the wiki is allowing you to include more sources for the update_git_repo command.
this still means you have to run the update_git_repo/genrepo/refresh_db commands to get this distribute changes.

What I want to be able to do is say treat the winrepo the same as a pillar/state external gitfs location.
Tell the salt-master "look here for winrepo files" and forget about it.
It autonomously create a cache of that repo and sync that out to the windows minions (or me add a scheduled task for them).

I want to avoid the situation where an update to a winrepo sls file is made.
I then need to look for changes and see it's happened.
Then tell the salt master to update to know about it.
Then tell the minions to update to know about it.
I'm trying to get a salt-master that has a little direct human interaction as possible (without adding loads of crons)

From what I'm getting from the docs I'm not sure this is possible at the moment.

I'm happy to put in a feature req but I want to check before I do.