SaltReqTimeoutError for when adding deep files directory to salt base directory

Taun Chapman

Dec 9, 2013, 1:44:42 PM12/9/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Using salt 17.1 on OpenSuse 13.1 with the OpenSuse server as a salt master.

The file_root base environment is /srv/salt

When I add a large files directory to the salt root in a source directory /srv/salt/source/files…. , salt will constantly timeout.

If I move the files directory out of the salt root, salt goes back to working.

It seems like python is scanning the directory looking for python code. Is there somewhere else I should be putting source files so they don't get scanned forever causing timeouts? There is no init.sls in the source directory and I don't yet have any states referencing the source files.

This is only my second day trying to learn my way around salt.

Thanks
Taun

Ethan Erchinger

Dec 9, 2013, 1:56:57 PM12/9/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Look at the "fileserver_limit_traversal" option in your master's config file.  If that doesn't help, there are other methods.

Best,
Ethan

Taun Chapman

Dec 9, 2013, 4:41:42 PM12/9/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On reading the documentation on fileserver_limit_traversal, it looked promising.

Unfortunately, I uncommented and changed 'fileserver_limit_traversal = True' in the /etc/salt/master file and restarted salt-master. Still the same timeout. I was on the fence about whether it was best to distribute the files in their raw directory structure or tar zipped. Looks like tar zip is winning.

Thanks
Taun

Mike Place

Dec 9, 2013, 5:01:10 PM12/9/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, Taun Chapman
During what operation does it timeout? Is this just limited to state operations (i.e. state.sls, state.highstate, etc) or is it any call?

--
Mike Place

Taun Chapman

Dec 9, 2013, 8:49:50 PM12/9/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, Taun Chapman
Originally it was happening on all commands including test.ping. Since making fileserver_limit_traversal = True, it does not happen consistently for test.ping but so far has timed-out for state.show_highstate, state.highstate, state.show_sls, state.show_top,

Here is the error:

mz@salt:~> sudo time salt '*' state.show_highstate -l debug
[DEBUG   ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/master
[DEBUG   ] Missing configuration file: /root/.salt
[DEBUG   ] loading log_handlers in ['/var/cache/salt/master/extmods/log_handlers', '/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/log/handlers']
[DEBUG   ] Skipping /var/cache/salt/master/extmods/log_handlers, it is not a directory
[DEBUG   ] None of the required configuration sections, 'logstash_udp_handler' and 'logstash_zmq_handler', were found the in the configuration. Not loading the Logstash logging handlers module.
[DEBUG   ] Configuration file path: /etc/salt/master
[DEBUG   ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/master
[DEBUG   ] Missing configuration file: /root/.salt
[DEBUG   ] LocalClientEvent PUB socket URI: ipc:///var/run/salt/master/master_event_pub.ipc
[DEBUG   ] LocalClientEvent PULL socket URI: ipc:///var/run/salt/master/master_event_pull.ipc
[ERROR   ] An un-handled exception was caught by salt's global exception handler:
SaltReqTimeoutError: Waited 60 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/salt", line 10, in <module>
    salt_main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/scripts.py", line 117, in salt_main
    client.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/cli/__init__.py", line 133, in run
    for full_ret in cmd_func(**kwargs):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/client/__init__.py", line 471, in cmd_cli
    **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/client/__init__.py", line 228, in run_job
    **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/client/__init__.py", line 1216, in pub
    payload = sreq.send('clear', payload_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/payload.py", line 193, in send
    timeout * tried
SaltReqTimeoutError: Waited 60 seconds
1.12user 0.23system 1:21.52elapsed 1%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 22144maxresident)k

Taun

Colton Myers

Dec 10, 2013, 12:16:02 PM12/10/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, Taun Chapman
Can you give us a quick run-down of your directory structure, including where all your SLS files are and where your big files are?  The traversal limits are dependent on the large files being below directories with no SLS files in them, if I remember correctly.

--
Colton Myers

江小胖

Apr 2, 2018, 9:50:55 AM4/2/18
to Salt-users
Excuse me, did you solve this problem?

在 2013年12月10日星期二 UTC+8上午2:44:42,Taun Chapman写道: