Salt Minion Invalid Shell Warning

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 28, 2017, 4:23:02 PM4/28/17
to Salt-users
I'm getting:

[WARNING ] Attempt to run a shell command with what may be an invalid shell! Check to ensure that the shell </bin/sh> is valid for this user.

I'm running the minion as root and as root I can explicitly run /bin/sh. It's symlinked to dash but $SHELL is bash. Not sure I understand that last part.

From Salt's perspective what must I do to verify the shell? How do I remove this warning?

Thanks.

Thomas Phipps

Apr 28, 2017, 6:25:32 PM4/28/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
that error means one thing. you are not using windows and /etc/shell doesn't exist or doesn't have /bin/sh listed in it.

Thomas Phipps
Linux/Openstack/Logstash

ke...@understoryweather.com

Apr 29, 2017, 2:53:36 PM4/29/17
to Salt-users
Excellent. Thank you. /bin/sh wasn't listed in /etc/shells on Debian 8 Jessie ARMHF (Beaglebone Black).