Salt with AWS

Bubunia Patra

Apr 4, 2018, 10:48:05 AM4/4/18
to Salt-users

Hi,

I have several salt states(base and pillars) already written and present in Amazon s3. I want to re-use the salt states instead of writing the salt state again. I want to create a AMI image using packer and apply the salt-states that I have downloaded from s3 to the Packer Builder EC2 instance. Even if the salt-minion is installed on the CentOS -7 machine, I have installed salt-master service as well and started both salt-minion and salt-master by following commands.

cat > /etc/salt/minion.d/minion_id.conf <<'EOT'

 id: ${host} # id salt-minion id

 EOT

Generate the name of the master to connect to

cat > /etc/salt/minion.d/master_name.conf <<'EOT'

master: localhost

 EOT

systemctl enable salt-minion

systemctl start salt-minion

systemctl enable salt-master

systemctl start salt-master

When running the below command it doesnt list any minions:

salt-key -L

Accepted Keys:

 Denied Keys:

Unaccepted Keys:

Rejected Keys:

So the salt 'localhost-*' state.sls state.high_state fails with errot "No minions matched the target. No command was sent, no jid was assigned. ERROR: No return received"

This is because no minionid is created from salt-key.

Anybody has any idea why the salt-key is not being shown with salt-minion and how can i resolve this issue by running the existing salt-state successfully downloaded from s3 will work in AMI image?

Regards

Pradeep

down votefavorI have several salt states(base and pillars) already written and present in Amazon s3. I want to re-use the salt states instead of writing the salt state again. I want to create a AMI image using packer and apply the salt-states that I have downloaded from s3 to the Packer Builder EC2 instance. Even if the salt-minion is installed on the CentOS -7 machine, I have installed salt-master service as well and started both salt-minion and salt-master by following commands.

Daniel Wallace

Apr 4, 2018, 11:01:02 AM4/4/18
to Salt-users
How did you install the salt-minion and salt-master packages?

Have you verified that the salt-minion was not already started?  If it was already started, you will need to restart it instead of running `systemctl start salt-minion`