Syndic vs multi-master topology - which is better?

varun bhatnagar

Aug 11, 2017, 4:00:59 AM8/11/17
to Salt-users
Hi,

I am about to deploy SaltStack on our staging environment where-in I will have minions (~50-75 minions) which will be geographically separated. I am little bit puzzled in selecting the topology whether it should be Syndic or multi-master.

While searching on the internet I have seen few articles where it was mentioned that Syndic is having some problems. Is it really true?

Any pros & cons with Syndic vs multi-master topology?

Can anyone please share some insights for the same?

BR,
Varun

Thomas Phipps

Aug 11, 2017, 4:36:38 AM8/11/17
to Salt-users
syndic and multimaster are two different solutions for two different problems.

multimaster is for if you want a ha solution. while syndic is for seperating that each need a seperate master that you control through one master. (or multimaster).

they are also not mutually exclusive. you can have mutimaster with mutimaster syndics.

for 50-75 minions you really don't need to get into mutlimaster setup. however because of the geoseperation you most likely do want syndic. each location getting it's own master that communications back to a central master.

varun bhatnagar

Aug 11, 2017, 4:54:19 AM8/11/17
to Salt-users
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply, I would like to maintain HA environment even for Staging and if that works fine then I will salt one more lot of minions and there will be around 150 minions in total. I would like to manage both the environment with same master.

The reason why I posted this question is because I was going for Syndic solution but I heard that there are problems with the same like:

1) state and pillar system do not get propagated downstream
2) Minions sometimes do not return the results to the master
3) Salt Enterprise having some problems with Syndic topology etc...

So I wanted to know if this is really true and is anyone, who using these in real-time environment, facing some problem.

BR,
Varun