Configuring salt with salt

Oly

Jun 28, 2016, 4:19:40 AM6/28/16
to Salt-users
For a long time I have stored our minion and master config in git. This is problematic as the configuration options extend/change over time - so I frequently compare our config file to the default supplied with new versions. I would like to write a salt formula to configure my minions and master (obviously the minion needs a minimum of being able to talk to its master first) so that I do not have to go through this process. I have searched around but cannot find a module/state to access the minion configuration - I'm sure I must be missing something obvious, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am aware that I could use file.blockreplace etc. but that seems a clunky and unreliable way to do it.

Oly

Wolodja Wentland

Jun 28, 2016, 5:42:50 AM6/28/16
to Salt-users

Hi,

Did you take a look at https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/salt-formula already?

Wolodja

Message has been deleted

Oly

Jun 28, 2016, 10:07:45 AM6/28/16
to Salt-users
salt-formula looks really good for easily creating downstream masters and minions but it doesn't really have anything for setting salt configuration options. Still looking ...

Thomas Phipps

Jun 28, 2016, 11:56:02 AM6/28/16
to Salt-users
which minion configs are you looking at pushing? most minion configs can actually be handled through pillar.
read up on config.get which handled most of the minions configs.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 7:07 AM Oly <oliver...@gmail.com> wrote:
salt-formula looks really good for easily creating downstream masters and minions but it doesn't really have anything for setting salt configuration options. Still looking ...

Thomas Phipps
Linux/Openstack/Logstash

Oliver Dungey

Aug 18, 2016, 5:59:38 AM8/18/16
to Salt-users
Long delay - I've done some testing with config.get today: I put the value 'master_tries: 777' in the minions pillar data (and tested with pillar.item, the value 777 is returned). Then I call config.get to see if the pillar value has any impact but it returns 1 (the default) and seems to ignore the pillar setting. This doesn't seem to comply with the documentation.

I was assuming that I would be able to override any minion setting in pillar data but this doesn't seem to be the case. Even if it does override the setting - will it need a minion restart to take effect?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Salt-users" group.

Thomas Phipps

Aug 18, 2016, 12:36:33 PM8/18/16
to Salt-users
anything that has to do with contacting the master is not affected. and also why I said 'most' not 'all' when I suggested pillars.
also you do need to refresh the pillar cache. with saltutil.refresh_pillars. but a restart is not required.