What happened to the Ubuntu SaltStack PPA?

Cory Wright

Apr 3, 2015, 9:21:11 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
It seems the PPA that has hosted SaltStack Ubuntu packages is now gone:

Has it moved somewhere else?

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 3, 2015, 9:33:14 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Am 03.04.2015 um 15:21 schrieb Cory Wright:

It seems the PPA that has hosted SaltStack Ubuntu packages is now gone:

That's not a PPA URL at all. All SaltStack PPA's can still be found here.

HTH...

    Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.he...@altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913

Florian Ermisch

Apr 3, 2015, 9:37:09 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

Cory Wright

Apr 3, 2015, 9:58:58 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 9:33:14 AM UTC-4, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Am 03.04.2015 um 15:21 schrieb Cory Wright:

It seems the PPA that has hosted SaltStack Ubuntu packages is now gone:

That's not a PPA URL at all. All SaltStack PPA's can still be found here.

Whether its a PPA URL or not, it's where I've been downloading the Salt packages from for the last 2~ years. The packages were there earlier this week.

I just would like to understand what has changed. Are the packages now being produced by someone different?

Diep Pham

Apr 3, 2015, 10:04:24 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if PPA ever provides https support. Please try to use:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/saltstack/salt/ubuntu/pool/main/s/salt/

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 3, 2015, 10:23:24 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Am 03.04.2015 um 15:58 schrieb Cory Wright:

Whether its a PPA URL or not, it's where I've been downloading the Salt packages from for the last 2~ years. The packages were there earlier this week.

You can always download them from the PPA page directly, by clicking on "View package details", then expand the package you're interested in. However, what's wrong in using the PPA as intended, by adding it to your sources.list.d via add-apt-repository?

I just would like to understand what has changed. Are the packages now being produced by someone different?

AFAIK not.

Cory Wright

Apr 3, 2015, 10:55:03 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 10:23:24 AM UTC-4, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Am 03.04.2015 um 15:58 schrieb Cory Wright:
Whether its a PPA URL or not, it's where I've been downloading the Salt packages from for the last 2~ years. The packages were there earlier this week.
You can always download them from the PPA page directly, by clicking on "View package details", then expand the package you're interested in. However, what's wrong in using the PPA as intended, by adding it to your sources.list.d via add-apt-repository?

The problem is that PPA's only allow a single packaged version for a given distribution release. The recommended way of dealing with this in the past has been to maintain an internal apt mirror:

We are constantly putting new servers online and want them to all run the same version of salt-minion, without having to constantly update all of our current servers for each minor salt release. By maintaining an internal mirror of salt packages we can ensure all servers run the same version of salt-minion, regardless of what is currently in the PPA. When we are ready to upgrade the salt-minion packages we can test the new packages in a staging environment, make sure nothing breaks, then upgrade production by placing the new salt packages in our internal mirror.

If we used the PPA in our sources then we would be installing various different versions of salt-minion during our kickstart process, depending on what was in the PPA at the time.

Nicholas Capo

Apr 3, 2015, 11:34:26 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

This is how we handle our salt packages as well.

One additional suggestion, most of the tutorials for hosting your own repo recommend using reprepo.

But reprepo only supports a single version of each package (sounds like the same problem as the ppa's). This means that if you are using apt pins for the packages, when you upload a new version you can no longer install the older version, effectively breaking the pin.

Instead of using reprepo, I highly recommend aptly [1]. The main feature of aptly is serving a local repo mirror. It was a little difficult to figure out how to only serve custom packages, but not impossible.

Nicholas

[1] http://www.aptly.info/

Arnold Bechtoldt

Apr 3, 2015, 11:43:30 AM4/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Memo to myself: I definitely need to start creating some
saltstack-packaging best practices slides..

At the moment SaltStack is miles away from providing acceptable
packaging/ releases..

Planned releases don't come in time, community-maintained packages
builds for EL/Deb need several days/weeks after new Salt releases, etc. pp.

--
Arnold Bechtoldt

Karlsruhe, Germany

On 03.04.15 16:55, Cory Wright wrote:
> On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 10:23:24 AM UTC-4, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>
> Am 03.04.2015 um 15:58 schrieb Cory Wright:
>> Whether its a PPA URL or not, it's where I've been downloading the
>> Salt packages from for the last 2~ years. The packages were there
>> earlier this week.
> You can always download them from the PPA page directly, by clicking
> on "View package details
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Esaltstack/+archive/ubuntu/salt/+packages>", then
> expand the package you're interested in. However, what's wrong in
> using the PPA as intended, by adding it to your sources.list.d via
> add-apt-repository?
>

> The problem is that PPA's only allow a single packaged version for a
> given distribution release. The recommended way of dealing with this in
> the past has been to maintain an internal apt mirror:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/salt-users/S4CeaDaRwgQ/2AM0COdoQ74J
>
> We are constantly putting new servers online and want them to all run
> the same version of salt-minion, without having to constantly update all
> of our current servers for each minor salt release. By maintaining an
> internal mirror of salt packages we can ensure all servers run the same
> version of salt-minion, regardless of what is currently in the PPA. When
> we are ready to upgrade the salt-minion packages we can test the new
> packages in a staging environment, make sure nothing breaks, then
> upgrade production by placing the new salt packages in our internal mirror.
>
> If we used the PPA in our sources then we would be installing various
> different versions of salt-minion during our kickstart process,
> depending on what was in the PPA at the time.
>
> --
0xE2356889.asc
signature.asc

Cory Wright

Apr 14, 2015, 2:38:02 PM4/14/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
After clicking on "Technical details about this PPA" on both of these:

I'm still getting 404 errors on the URLs it says to copy and paste, which are:

I must be missing something, but I still can not find where to download the Ubuntu debs for Precise and Trusty.

This first URL is the same one listed in the official manual installation instructions per:

Where are these .debs hosted now?

Thanks,

Cory

Joe Healy

Apr 14, 2015, 7:30:52 PM4/14/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
The actual location the files are at is:

Cory Wright

Apr 15, 2015, 1:43:29 PM4/15/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:30:52 PM UTC-4, Joe Healy wrote:

I have been getting a 404 Not Found trying to access that location since the start of this thread. I've attached a screenshot below.

Is anyone else able to view packages at that location?

Cory

Loren Gordon

Apr 15, 2015, 1:52:09 PM4/15/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Works for me...

-Loren

Tim O'Guin

Apr 15, 2015, 2:11:58 PM4/15/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Cory,

Looks like the PPA doesn't support HTTPS. It loads fine for me without it.

Cory Wright

Apr 15, 2015, 2:12:30 PM4/15/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I think I've finally figured it out. My 'HTTPS Everywhere' extension was redirecting the http version of launchpad to https. The https url *used* to work, and that seems to have changed around the time that I started this thread.

Colton Myers

Apr 22, 2015, 4:49:25 PM4/22/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Eventually we do plan to maintain our own packages for the major distributions, and hopefully that solution will also provide more than just the recent version of salt. (We definitely want to be able to provide easy access to bleeding edge and possibly even nightlies at some point) No ETA, but we know that the current situation is not ideal.

--
Colton Myers
Platform Engineer, SaltStack

Sebastien Estienne

Jun 28, 2015, 4:53:00 PM6/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Any update on this plan?

There is still no 2015.5.1 and no 2015.5.2 for ubuntu/debian, they have been release for 1 month now.
Are they really different from 2015.5.0 that it requires more than just building the packages?

Joe Healy

Jun 29, 2015, 12:31:05 AM6/29/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
No real changes - just need to get to a computer to do them.
I've said it before, but I am hoping to get it done today.

Apologies,

Joe

Diep Pham

Jun 30, 2015, 12:56:28 PM6/30/15
to public-salt-users-/J...@plane.gmane.org

Sebastien Estienne
<sebastien.estienne-R...@public.gmane.org> writes:

> There is still no 2015.5.1 and no 2015.5.2 for ubuntu/debian, they have
> been release for 1 month now.
> Are they really different from 2015.5.0 that it requires more than just
> building the packages?

I think it is internal packaging and QA process of Salt team, all the
changes are minor.

C. R. Oldham

Jun 30, 2015, 1:06:43 PM6/30/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Joe Healy has been gracious to build our Debian/Ubuntu packages for us.  We appreciate his effort, especially because it is non-trivial.  He volunteers his time.

We are working on infrastructure to automatically build the packages, but it's not ready yet.

--cro
C. R. Oldham, Platform Engineer, SaltStack