Salt 2016.11.0 Released

MeggieBot

Nov 28, 2016, 6:03:18 PM11/28/16
to Salt-users
We are pleased to announce the 2016.11.0 (Carbon) release of Salt!

Release notes can be found here:

Instructions for installing the latest packages can be found here:

Sources are available on PyPI:

Please note that this means that the version of Salt in /latest/ on the SaltStack repo has changed from 2016.3 to 2016.11. If you wish to pin to a specific release rather than updating to the latest version, please follow the instructions on repo.saltstack.com for each distribution.

Also note that some deprecated paths on repo.saltstack.com have now been removed. See this post for more information: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/salt-announce/5HKul7Azv-M

Thank you, as always, for your contributions.

--
Meggie Woodfield
Program Manager, SaltStack

Rukender attri

Nov 29, 2016, 6:13:48 AM11/29/16
to Salt-users
Hi Meggie,

Thanks for the update.

Could you please help me provide the instruction/plan for upgrading the salt master from 2016.3 to 2016.11(latest version).

Robert Callicotte

Nov 29, 2016, 10:12:43 AM11/29/16
to Salt-users
Looking through the release notes I don't see any mention of Azure ARM support.  Has this feature been withheld from this release?

-Robby

Dmitry Golubenko

Nov 30, 2016, 2:08:23 AM11/30/16
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
В Пнд, 28/11/2016 в 15:03 -0800, MeggieBot пишет:
> We are pleased to announce the 2016.11.0 (Carbon) release of Salt!
Feature list look really interesting for me, thanks to all the saltstack
team for your work!

two small issues found during my tests:
1.
postgres_* states didn't load because execution module can't find initdb
on debian jessie systems with stock postgresql-9.4

in the docs binary directory mentioned:
postgres.pg_bin: '/usr/pgsql-9.5/bin/'

but execution module actually check for postgres.bins_dir:
def _find_pg_binary(util):
'''
... versionadded:: 2016.3.2

Helper function to locate various psql related binaries
'''
pg_bin_dir = __salt__['config.option']('postgres.bins_dir')
util_bin = salt.utils.which(util)
if not util_bin:
if pg_bin_dir:
return os.path.join(pg_bin_dir, util)

2. ssh_known_hosts.present now breaks w/o hash_known_hosts (2016.3
works)
Function: ssh_known_hosts.present
Result: False
Comment: An exception occurred in this state: Traceback (most
recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/state.py",
line 1744, in call
**cdata['kwargs'])
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/loader.py",
line 1702, in wrapper
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/states/ssh_known_hosts.py", line
142, in present
timeout=timeout)
File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/modules/ssh.py", line 1053, in
set_known_host
cmd_result =
__salt__['ssh.hash_known_hosts'](user=user, config=full)
File "<string>", line 2, in hash_known_hosts
File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/utils/decorators/__init__.py",
line 186, in wrapped
return function(*args, **kwargs)
File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/salt/modules/ssh.py", line 1168, in
hash_known_hosts
os.stat(full, origmode)
TypeError: stat() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

sls:
ssh_known_hosts.present:
- user: {{ pillar['user'] }}
- enc: ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
- key: .....

Can be workarounded by hash_known_hosts: false

Megan Wilhite

Dec 1, 2016, 11:23:03 AM12/1/16
to Salt-users
Dmitry:

There are currently two issues already opened for both of those issues. For the first postgres issue it has already been fixed in https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/37993. and the second issue has an issue open here: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/37948 which looks like there is also a fix if you want to give that a try. And please feel free to open any new issues in the repo.

rukender:

Upgrading depends on your operating system. But for example if using centos you just run `yum upgrade salt-master salt-minion salt-ssh` and so forth for whichever salt packages you want to upgrade. And if your system uses systemd by default it will automatically restart the master and mnion. If not you will need to restart those services yourself. Hope that clarifies everything.

Robert:

This feature was added in this pr here: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/33122. And as noted here: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/blob/develop/salt/cloud/clouds/azurearm.py#L6 this was added in 2016.11.0 but as you pointed out it is not in the release notes. I opened an issue here: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/38024 which you can track the status of to get this added to the release notes. Thanks for the heads up :)

MeggieBot

Dec 1, 2016, 12:04:23 PM12/1/16
to Salt-users
Robby - Azure ARM support did make it in to 2016.11, we still need to make a note in the docs.

Here is the file for your reference in the meantime: