orchestrate concurrent states

Tyler Couto

Jan 18, 2017, 8:13:56 PM1/18/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all.

I use an orchestrate runner for deployment of our services in combination with a pillar that defines what should be deployed.  You can find a gist here:

I would like to modify it such that it utilizes much more concurrency. For example, pods are independent of each other, so they don’t need to be deployed sequentially. In fact, most services can be deployed concurrently; I only need to make sure each service in each pod is never fully down. Can anyone recommend a way to do this within salt’s orchestration?

Thanks,
Tyler

Seth House

Jan 18, 2017, 9:53:15 PM1/18/17
to salt users list
There isn't an out-of-box way that I can think of to do this without
kicking off multiple Orchestrate runs. There's a feature request to
allow kicking off async actions from Orchestrate (then synchronously
wait for them all to complete) that would fulfil this use-case:

https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/32956
https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/32488

Thomas Phipps

Jan 18, 2017, 10:51:07 PM1/18/17
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
i would look to see if the concurrent setting in the saltmod.state function meets your need. I am not sure if it will but it at least will give an idea of what to try. otherwise wait for the tickets that Seth has mentioned.

https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/all/salt.states.saltmod.html#salt.states.saltmod.state

Thomas Phipps
Linux/Openstack/Logstash

tco...@certain.com

Jan 19, 2017, 12:09:55 PM1/19/17
to Salt-users
Thanks, guys. I'll keep an eye on those feature. I have looked into the concurrent setting and I should be using it at least for the part where I'm deploying two services on a single set of boxes. I don't see how it might work otherwise.

tco...@certain.com

Apr 25, 2017, 9:04:50 PM4/25/17
to Salt-users
There is a pull request still unmerged at the moment which addresses this. https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/39670