[sakai-kernel] Debugging bundle load problems

David Horwitz

May 24, 2010, 8:41:41 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Probably a newby question - in the interest of learning I'll ask in
the abstract and supply the details :-)

Is there a (productive) way to go about debuging failures to load
packages due to Felix believing a parent bundle is not present, when
infact it is?

The case I'm running into is with the ldapauth module and current
master from Ian's github. The ldap module loads with no problem and is
visible in the admin console however when I try to start the ldapauth
bundle I get:

24.05.2010 14:33:11.901 *WARN* [1924826160@qtp-205667663-14]
org.mortbay.jetty./ %bundles.pluginTitle: Cannot start
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle
org.sakaiproject.nakamura.auth.ldap [120]: package;
(package=org.sakaiproject.nakamura.ldap)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundle(Felix.java:3295)

Thanks

Ian Boston

May 24, 2010, 8:57:23 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com

On 24 May 2010, at 13:41, David Horwitz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Probably a newby question - in the interest of learning I'll ask in
> the abstract and supply the details :-)
>
> Is there a (productive) way to go about debuging failures to load
> packages due to Felix believing a parent bundle is not present, when
> infact it is?
>
> The case I'm running into is with the ldapauth module and current
> master from Ian's github. The ldap module loads with no problem and is
> visible in the admin console however when I try to start the ldapauth
> bundle I get:
>
> 24.05.2010 14:33:11.901 *WARN* [1924826160@qtp-205667663-14]
> org.mortbay.jetty./ %bundles.pluginTitle: Cannot start
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle
> org.sakaiproject.nakamura.auth.ldap [120]: package;
> (package=org.sakaiproject.nakamura.ldap)
> at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundle(Felix.java:3295)

The information you need is in message, its easier once you get used to what its trying to tell you. (as with many things)

Its telling you that bundle org.sakaiproject.nakamura.auth.ldap has a import of java package org.sakaiproject.nakamura.ldap but that package is not exported from any bundle in OSGi.

Normally this would have been provided by the bundle org.sakaiproject.nakamura.ldap which is part of contrib. Its possible that bundle didnt get loaded properly.

The best place to look at the status of bundles is in the admin console http://localhost:8080/system/console/bundles

Was the ldap bundle loaded ?
Did it export the package in question ? (at the right version, although IIRC no version has been specified)

HTH
Ian

David Horwitz

May 24, 2010, 9:16:42 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com
Aha thanks, I had looked at the ldap package and got misdirected by
the packages symbolic name.

So in short it looks like the requirement doesn't match the export
(org.sakaiproject.nakamura.api.ldap) but matches the symbolic name
(which is no good)

Will look at fixing ...

Ian Boston

May 24, 2010, 9:22:24 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com

On 24 May 2010, at 14:16, David Horwitz wrote:

> Aha thanks, I had looked at the ldap package and got misdirected by
> the packages symbolic name.
>
> So in short it looks like the requirement doesn't match the export
> (org.sakaiproject.nakamura.api.ldap) but matches the symbolic name
> (which is no good)
>
> Will look at fixing ...

Has Carl responded, since I think he has this working ?
Ian

David Horwitz

May 24, 2010, 9:35:18 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com
Got him in IM - I he has pushed a fix - I'm busy testing.

Carl Hall

May 24, 2010, 10:53:25 AM5/24/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com
I added some methods for escaping search and DN filters which pulled LdapUtil from the impl to the api layer.  I've split the methods to leave the security stuff in impl and the escaping code in api.  All my changes are in github now.