My experience with Sailsjs as porduction system

Dipankar Patro

Feb 20, 2015, 12:07:28 PM2/20/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share the article I wrote when I used Sails js as our production system. The article is on v0.9x, more than 6 months back.

https://medium.com/@dipankarpatro/to-sail-or-not-to-sail-experience-with-sails-js-as-production-system-cd833c47aad

Thanks again for the wonderful framework!

James Dixon

Feb 24, 2015, 8:30:41 PM2/24/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dipankar,

Thanks for the write-up -- really appreciate the insights. As a startup, I'm in the same situation you mentioned in your post. I really like what I've seen of Sails, but one of my concerns is that it seems like it's mainly Mike McNeil and one other guy making all the contributions to the framework. I'd like to see more depth before I commit to using Sails for my production application, but as you mentioned in your post, these are the trials and tribulations of infant frameworks. Just like anything, there are pros and cons.

Thanks again for your insights.

Best,
James

Mike Hostetler

Feb 26, 2015, 9:16:28 AM2/26/15
to James Dixon, Sailsjs
James & Dipankar,

You guys aren't alone with that sentiment.  Sails has exploded in popularity and as a community we're at a crucial point of needing more help to really push this thing over the top.

The depth you mention is definitely needed, but we can't do it alone.  The docs site right now is a great example of the help that's needed sooner then later.

I'm doing what I can right now with leading the Community Forum and helping Mike McNeil in a few others ways now that I'm involved with Balderdash.

----------------
Mike Hostetler
----------------
BLOG | http://mike-hostetler.com
TWITTER | http://twitter.com/mikehostetler

James Dixon

Feb 26, 2015, 2:28:40 PM2/26/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com, jim.w...@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply, Mike. As I develop a better understanding of Sails through my experience of building my product, I'd love to give back to the community in some fashion. What's the best way to get involved?

Best,
James

Mike Hostetler

Feb 26, 2015, 3:55:32 PM2/26/15
to James Dixon, Sailsjs
Yeah, great question.

Right now, hang out on IRC, Gitter and this mailing list.

McNeil and I are working on somethings to help expand the contribution opportunities.

----------------
Mike Hostetler
----------------
BLOG | http://mike-hostetler.com
TWITTER | http://twitter.com/mikehostetler

Dipankar Patro

Feb 26, 2015, 7:48:15 PM2/26/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com, jim.w...@gmail.com
Hi James,

Thanks for supporting my views :). I initially was interested contributing to Sails Development myself, but I moved to Grad School last year and things changed a lot after that with my time commitment to other stuff. Like Mike says we are not alone with the same school of thoughts.

I like the way this framework has come up. Being in JS, it is easier to understand what they are trying to establish (believe me on this. I used Scala Lift and it was cryptic as hell). Here at my school people still think Java is THE language and everyone should know it. But they are all stumped when I produce stable apps using sails in a jiffy!

Sails FTW anyday! Things will go great if the group gets really good contributors.

Izzet Pembeci

Feb 27, 2015, 4:08:15 PM2/27/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com, jim.w...@gmail.com
Thanks Dipankar for sharing your experiences. I am sure it helps a lot of people who are giving a good look at Sails for using it in production. For finding more help to the core developers, I may also suggest utilizing the Google Summer Of Code. When I look at the accepted projects and mentor organizations from last year, I get a sense that Google will be very interested is supporting some Sails improving projects. This year application deadline passed for organizations but smt to keep in mind for next year.

iZzeT

Dário Marcelino

Mar 13, 2015, 7:03:04 PM3/13/15
to sai...@googlegroups.com, jim.w...@gmail.com
I too share the concerns of James & Dipankar. In my case I'm not so much concerned with Sails but with Waterline. I would like to see a bigger separation between the way both are handled, namely:
  • An individual webpage for waterline;
  • Communication channels: google group and gitter for waterline;
  • More issues resolved and more PRs merged;
  • Roadmap...
I get the feeling (when googling and reading/answering stackoverflow) that waterline is not well known outside the Sails world which is a shame as it's a really good ORM! It would be good to see more community contributions. I myself I'm willing to help given the opportunity.

Thanks,
Dário