Sage for Windows, when?

Jim Mooney

Apr 24, 2017, 5:54:31 AM4/24/17
to sage-support
Sage is so painfully slow on win 8.1 since it's run in a virtualbox, I had to fall back to Maxima (which is fine for now, but I'll want Sage eventually). I don't want to partition and dual-boot linux, and running linux from a flash drive only allows a tiny amount of storage for Sage, even with a big flash drive. Is there any progress on Sage for Windows? Or an ETA?

Vincent Delecroix

Apr 24, 2017, 5:57:41 AM4/24/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jim,

For windows status, have a look at [1]. Concerning data storage with
flash drive, the live USB key [2] gives you access to your hard drive.
So I don't understand your limitation problem.

Vincent

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/t2s8cUdf4ZQ
[2] https://sagedebianlive.metelu.net/

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 24, 2017, 6:07:00 AM4/24/17
to sage-support

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 10:54:31 AM UTC+1, Jim Mooney wrote:
Sage is so painfully slow on win 8.1 since it's run in a virtualbox, I had to fall back to Maxima (which is fine for now, but I'll want Sage eventually). I don't want to partition and dual-boot linux, and running linux from a flash drive only allows a tiny amount of storage for Sage, even with a big flash drive. Is there any progress on Sage for Windows? Or an ETA?

another option is to install a 2nd hard drive/SSD, (almost trivial on desktop)  and install Linux there.
The cost of such disks, 100GB would give you more than enough, is below $100.

As well, note that Windows 8.1 will reach its end of life in January 2018, so it's perhaps time to start looking for other options.

slelievre

Apr 24, 2017, 9:11:48 AM4/24/17
to sage-support
Dear Jim,

have you tried using the SageMath installer for Windows
that Erik Bray has produced, funded by OpenDreamKit?

It is more lightweight than the virtual machine solution,
and integrates better with the Windows environment.

It is still in alpha stage but there are more and more reports
of it working well, both under Windows 8 and Windows 10.

If you want to try it out, it's the .exe from the first item at

The only requirement, I think, is a 64-bit version of Windows.

At the time of writing this email, the latest version is
"SageMath-7.4 (Windows installer 0.1a4)". There have
been delays in catching up with Sage 7.5 and Sage 7.6
but hopefully, as discussed in the thread that vdelecroix
pointed to, the SageMath installer for Windows should
catch up with the general release by the time Sage 8.0
comes out, and stay in sync thereafter.

Samuel

Henri Girard

Apr 24, 2017, 10:35:46 AM4/24/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Wonderfull, I just installed it and tried sagenb. That's really a great day !

HG

Apr 29, 2017, 10:01:54 AM4/29/17
to sage-support
I installed it on w10 and w7 works fine in sagenb, jupyper notebook runs but do no calculation. It's a bit slow because my pc-s are really old stuff, but better that virtualbox and I am unpatient to test sage-8 (linux sage-8 beta 4 works fine )

Jim Mooney

May 1, 2017, 4:51:29 PM5/1/17
to sage-support
Thanks, I'll try that. dld now.

Jim Mooney

May 1, 2017, 4:55:16 PM5/1/17
to sage-support

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 3:07:00 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

another option is to install a 2nd hard drive/SSD, (almost trivial on desktop)  and install Linux there.
The cost of such disks, 100GB would give you more than enough, is below $100.

I do have an SSD. Is the software and installation the same as for a USB?

Jim Mooney

May 1, 2017, 6:18:47 PM5/1/17
to sage-support

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:11:48 AM UTC-7, slelievre wrote:
Dear Jim,

have you tried using the SageMath installer for Windows
that Erik Bray has produced, funded by OpenDreamKit?

This graph, which worked in virtualbox, died in sagemath for win, so I'll wait for the beta ;)

def f(x,y):
    return math.sin(y*y+x*x)/math.sqrt(x*x+y*y+.0001)
P = plot3d(f,(-3,3),(-3,3), adaptive=True, color=rainbow(60, 'rgbtuple'),
           max_bend=.1, max_depth=15)
P.show()

/opt/sagemath-7.4/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/repl/rich_outpu\
t/display_manager.py:590: RichReprWarning: Exception in _rich_repr_
while displaying object: Jmol failed to create file
'/dot_sage/temp/Dragon/2372/dir_OChyYd/preview.png', see
'/dot_sage/temp/Dragon/2372/tmp_VwmJ4C.txt' for details
  RichReprWarning,
Graphics3d Object

Jim Mooney

May 1, 2017, 6:20:36 PM5/1/17
to sage-support

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 2:57:41 AM UTC-7, vdelecroix wrote:
Dear Jim,

For windows status, have a look at [1]. Concerning data storage with
flash drive, the live USB key [2] gives you access to your hard drive.
So I don't understand your limitation problem.

Vincent

Casper only allows about 2 gigs for Persistence between startups, so I can't download much since Sage is big. If I'm mistaken, please clarify.

Samuel Lelièvre

May 2, 2017, 1:43:57 AM5/2/17
to Sage-support
Henri, could you say more precisely what you mean by
"Jupyter notebooks run but do no calculation"?

Samuel

Henri Girard

May 2, 2017, 4:08:34 AM5/2/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On window (7 and 10) when I run sagenb (sage:notebook()) then graphique and calculation work. For example sqrt(16) i got 4, if I run the jupyter-notebook  icon it runs, then I input the same sqrt(16) and then it seems frozen ? No answer... The star shows up but never stops... I read somewhere that jupyter wasn't yet working, that's why my question. Otherwise it's fantastic (even a bit slow, but my pc on windows are old stuff, two cores 4Go RAM) but for me it's better than virtualbox and I guess soon we will have improvments. (I am not working on sagemath windows, just testing) I am using sage8 beta4, and I guess when it will be on windows it will be a good apps.

Vincent Delecroix

May 2, 2017, 4:10:43 AM5/2/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
This is right, but you can use your *hard drive* or *any other storage
device*. You are not limited by the persistence on the USB key that
contains the system.

Dima Pasechnik

May 2, 2017, 5:21:03 AM5/2/17
to sage-support
Yes and no.
It's "installing Linux on a drive", be it SSD, HD, USB stick, makes little difference.
Typically one need to install a smallish initial Linux setup, and then populate the rest over the net.

To start, you'd typically boot from a prepared USB (or a CD/DVD) - something that is referred to as "installer media", or
"installation media", and then
tell it to install the Linux system on the HD/SSD of your choice.

So the step 0 is to get the "installation media" ready. E.g. Ubuntu provides the detailed instructions:
This is in principle the same as getting a Live USB with Linux.
(And this is why I wrote "Yes" in "Yes and no" above)

HTH,
Dima

Henri Girard

May 2, 2017, 11:12:09 AM5/2/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I have ubuntu on an internal ssd for a long time. I even didn't make a swap partition as suggested and ubuntu is very speedy so sage is too