Sage secure notebook: Failed to load application: [('PEM routines', 'PEM_read_bio', 'no start line')

Ceno Byte

May 31, 2016, 11:48:25 AM5/31/16
to sage-support
I managed to get the latest version of Sage compiled with openssl, however whenever I try to run notebook(secure=True) I get this error:
'
OpenSSL.crypto.Error: [('PEM routines', 'PEM_read_bio', 'no start line')]

Failed to load application: [('PEM routines', 'PEM_read_bio', 'no start line')]

sage: version()
'SageMath Version 7.1, Release Date: 2016-03-20
Ubuntu 16.04

I have no idea how to fix this and would like to both find an answer and distribute it to others
I'm not a programmer, I'm a mathematician.

Thanks in advance

Dima Pasechnik

May 31, 2016, 3:17:29 PM5/31/16
to sage-support
Could you quit Sage, remove the directory ~/.sage/notebook/
and re-start Sage, as recommended in