How do I backup my notebook files? The SAGE notebook will not open...

manrique.m...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2015, 9:20:47 PM4/5/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have the following error appear when I try to start the sage notebook.  I am hoping to get a copy of the files in my sagen oebook

I am runing the SAGE live usb, latest

Output: http://0bin.net/paste/X4vcdr-ZO-gw16-T#455tI0QfHkh-L3xZPG+OK0+/iAMNtgJSd65w4s+LYnl

kcrisman

Apr 6, 2015, 9:27:42 AM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I have the following error appear when I try to start the sage notebook.  I am hoping to get a copy of the files in my sagen oebook

I am runing the SAGE live usb, latest

  1. /opt/sagemath/sage-6.5-i686-Linux/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sagenb-0.11.4-py2.7.egg/sagenb/storage/filesystem_storage.pyc in _user_path(self, username)
  2. 119
  3. 120 #Move the directory to the __store__ directory
  4. --> 121 os.rename(path, new_path)
  5. 122
  6. 123 #new_path now points to the actual directory
  7.
  8. OSError: [Errno 21] Is a directory

That's an error I haven't seen before, especially since it's supposed to BE a directory.  Where are you running Sage from as a command?

If you want to see where your actual notebook files live, you can look in (typically)

HOME/.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb/home/admin/

(in general it would be in DOT_SAGE which you may have set differently).

Jeroen Demeyer

Apr 6, 2015, 1:55:03 PM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-04-06 15:27, kcrisman wrote:
> That's an error I haven't seen before, especially since it's supposed to
> BE a directory.

Do you know what this rename() command is supposed to accomplish?

The manpage of rename(2) says

oldpath can specify a directory. In this case, newpath must either not
exist, or it must specify an empty directory.

manrique.m...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2015, 3:51:03 PM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 1:27:42 PM UTC, kcrisman wrote:

That's an error I haven't seen before, especially since it's supposed to BE a directory.  Where are you running Sage from as a command?

Upon booting my persistance home directory from SAGE live usb, I opened up a terminal and entered 'sage'    When SAGE loaded, I entered 'notebook()'

I usually just double click the SAGE notebook to open up the notebook interface, but it was simply not working that way.   I thought I should run from a terminal to try to capture an error message.

Thanks for the help!!!

Miguel

manrique.m...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2015, 3:53:45 PM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Actually,  maybe I am misunderstanding something...

I get this when I try to retrieve my notebook files:

user@debian:~$ cd /.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb/home/admin/
bash: cd: /.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb/home/admin/: No such file or directory

kcrisman

Apr 6, 2015, 9:34:19 PM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Try doing "sage -sh", or starting sage however you usually would but with " -sh" appended.  Then do

echo DOT_SAGE

e.g.

$ sage -sh

Starting subshell with Sage environment variables set.  Don't forget
to exit when you are done.  Beware:
 * Do not do anything with other copies of Sage on your system.
 * Do not use this for installing Sage packages using "sage -i" or for
   running "make" at Sage's root directory.  These should be done
   outside the Sage shell.

Bypassing shell configuration files...

Note: SAGE_ROOT=/Users/.../sage-6.5
$ echo $DOT_SAGE
/Users/.../.sage/

> That's an error I haven't seen before, especially since it's supposed to
> > BE a directory.

> Do you know what this rename() command is supposed to accomplish?

No, and I don't have time to investigate it now.  But my guess is that either it's an issue where there is something with respect to the USB not having a directory it should, or maybe something happened to already be named this for some reason.

John H Palmieri

Apr 6, 2015, 11:35:07 PM4/6/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Don't include the "/" at the beginning: cd .sage/sage_notebook/.... (or follow kcrisman's suggestion regarding "sage -sh" to get the complete path).

--
John

manrique.m...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2015, 10:48:20 AM4/7/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Sadly I still cannot retrieve the notebook files:

http://0bin.net/paste/tdHVZvQwdt+ar0-5#8nCj6K4MOChU5vVyaSro0pD1EIa27lbb2OLpXYw0Hl+

The admin folder is not a directory!

Best
Miguel
Message has been deleted

manrique.m...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2015, 10:51:29 AM4/7/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
In the interest of (your) time and efficiency, I will revert to a backup.  Thank you for your suggestions!

Best wishes
Miguel-Angel Manrique