INSTALLATION SAGE

KULDEEP SARMA

Aug 22, 2017, 9:20:25 AM8/22/17
to sage-support
How sage can be installed in Ubuntu system? I had followed the instructions but it says no such file

Jan Groenewald

Aug 22, 2017, 9:22:51 AM8/22/17
to sage-support
On 22 August 2017 at 15:08, KULDEEP SARMA <kuldeep...@gmail.com> wrote:
How sage can be installed in Ubuntu system? I had followed the instructions but it says no such file

Which instructions?

--
  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald

David Joyner

Aug 22, 2017, 9:29:17 AM8/22/17
to SAGE support
The instructions for decompressing at
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/binary.html
might be out of date, as all the files are *.bz2 files.
Instructions for decompressing bz2 files can be found here:
https://wiki.sagemath.org/DownloadAndInstallationGuide

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 22, 2017, 9:47:19 AM8/22/17
to sage-support

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 2:29:17 PM UTC+1, David Joyner wrote:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:08 AM, KULDEEP SARMA
<kuldeep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How sage can be installed in Ubuntu system? I had followed the instructions
> but it says no such file

The instructions for decompressing at
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/binary.html
might be out of date, as all the files are *.bz2 files.

tar nowadays doesn't need explicit compression type parameters,
"tar xf" would work for any gz-complessed or bz2-compressed file...

Vincent Delecroix

Aug 22, 2017, 6:58:08 PM8/22/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Which version of Ubuntu do you have? There is now a package that works
for Ubuntu 17.04 (zesty)

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=sagemath-common

This is by far the best way to use Sage under Ubuntu.

Vincent

Emmanuel Charpentier

Aug 23, 2017, 9:23:21 AM8/23/17
to sage-support
I (mostly) agree, but would like to point out that this is a port of the Debian port, which is not (yet) upgraded to Sage 8.0.

This upgrade seems difficult : the current "testing" sagemath can't be installed at the moment (two of its dependencies (viz python-cvxopt and python-cysignals-pari>=1.2.0+ds-2) are currently unavailable).

Furthermore, compiling from source is almost a (very large) piece of cake, provided that you follow *to* *the* *letter* the recommendations of the README and the Installation Guide ; the added benefits are the easo of installation of optional/experimental modules and the ability to patch/develop...

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Dominique Laurain

Aug 26, 2017, 3:52:42 AM8/26/17
to sage-support
About Dima :

tar nowadays doesn't need explicit compression type parameters,
"tar xf" would work for any gz-complessed or bz2-compressed file...

The old-fashioned way (explicit option or tar command) on Unix/Linux operating system is :

tar xzvf   filearchive.tgz   (for gzip-ped tar archive files )

tar xzjf   filearchive.bz2  (bzip-ped tar archive files)

Replace x   with t , for "listing" files in the archive.

Dominique