Cannot use pip because pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL

Eden Harder

Nov 11, 2016, 2:59:17 AM11/11/16
to sage-support

I installed pip by sage -i pip, but when I use pip to install some python packages, it always gives the following error message:

sys:1: RuntimeWarning: not adding directory '' to sys.path since everybody can write to it. Untrusted users could put files in this directory which might then be imported by your Python code. As a general precaution from similar exploits, you should not execute Python code from this directory pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available. Collecting octave_kernel Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/octave-kernel/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available. - skipping Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement octave_kernel (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for octave_kernel

Then I followed this post (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-support/c2fm64j55Jk) which says ./sage -i pyopenssl, but this step fails for me also.

John Cremona

Nov 11, 2016, 4:22:32 AM11/11/16
to SAGE support

To Sage developers:  this is coming up a lot.  Would it not be solved by making the appropriate openssh spkg a dependency of pip?

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 11, 2016, 6:35:22 AM11/11/16
to sage-support
This mess partially stems from Apple pulling the support of OpenSSL, in favour of their own (incompatible) replacement.
Currently this leads to the chicken vs egg problem on OSX (or any other system that has no system-wide OpenSSL or equivalent
installation):
we cannot include OpenSSL sources, and we cannot download sources from sites that require TLS 1.2 (provided by OpenSSL)
as we cannot connect to such sites without OpenSSL or equivalent installed.

Dima