Plotting in Julia notebook in Cloud.Sagemath.com

angel.vice...@gmail.com

May 27, 2016, 9:57:35 AM5/27/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

apologies if this question is better asked somewhere else, but I'm not
aware of any support mailing list specific to Cloud.Sagemath.

I just started trying out a Julia notebook in Cloud.Sagemath.com, but I
don't seem to be able to use any of the usual packages for plotting
(Winston, PyPlot, etc.).

Do you know, in general, of any document explaining which packages are
available for the different kernels? Is it possible to include new
packages per notebook? Specifically, which plotting packages could I use
and how?

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/

William Stein

May 27, 2016, 11:52:47 AM5/27/16
to sage-support, Bill Hart
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM, <angel.vice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apologies if this question is better asked somewhere else, but I'm not
> aware of any support mailing list specific to Cloud.Sagemath.

Go to https://cloud.sagemath.com/help and click on the link "support
mailing list", which links to

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/sage-cloud

That said, I'm cc'ing Bill Hart, since he uses Julia a lot and has
used iJulia. I don't know if he has used it in SMC though.

> I just started trying out a Julia notebook in Cloud.Sagemath.com, but I
> don't seem to be able to use any of the usual packages for plotting
> (Winston, PyPlot, etc.).
>
> Do you know, in general, of any document explaining which packages are
> available for the different kernels? Is it possible to include new
> packages per notebook? Specifically, which plotting packages could I use
> and how?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ángel de Vicente
> http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/
>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Bill Hart

May 27, 2016, 12:34:31 PM5/27/16
to William Stein, sage-support
On 27 May 2016 at 17:52, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM,  <angel.vice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apologies if this question is better asked somewhere else, but I'm not
> aware of any support mailing list specific to Cloud.Sagemath.

Go to https://cloud.sagemath.com/help and click on the link "support
mailing list", which links to

   https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/sage-cloud

That said, I'm cc'ing Bill Hart, since he uses Julia a lot and has
used iJulia.  I don't know if he has used it in SMC though.

> I just started trying out a Julia notebook in Cloud.Sagemath.com, but I
> don't seem to be able to use any of the usual packages for plotting
> (Winston, PyPlot, etc.).

I haven't used the plotting libraries from IJulia.

It's my understanding they should work, but you would have to install them each time you log in I think. The alternative is if William installs them systemwide as he currently installs Nemo, say. But that assumes they work locally first, of course.

I just don't know which ones should work with IJulia. That is something you could ask directly at the julia-users Google group.

Bill.

angel.vice...@gmail.com

May 31, 2016, 4:24:41 AM5/31/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

"'Bill Hart' via sage-support" <sage-s...@googlegroups.com> writes:

> On 27 May 2016 at 17:52, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Go to https://cloud.sagemath.com/help and click on the link "support
> mailing list", which links to
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/sage-cloud

OK, thanks, I will subscribe to that one as well.

> I haven't used the plotting libraries from IJulia.
>
> It's my understanding they should work, but you would have to install
> them each time you log in I think. The alternative is if William
> installs them systemwide as he currently installs Nemo, say. But that
> assumes they work locally first, of course.
>
> I just don't know which ones should work with IJulia. That is
> something you could ask directly at the julia-users Google group.

I'm just starting with Julia (and IJulia), but in my local installation
the two that I just tried (Winston and PyPlot) work no problem with
IJulia.

Cheers,

Tommy Hofmann

May 31, 2016, 11:48:16 AM5/31/16
to sage-support
With a normal account one cannot install julia packages on cloud.sagemath.com, since a normal account does not have internet connection. The only option is a systemwide installation.

Tommy