Error building Sage 8.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 :make: *** [all] Error

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 2:21:11 AM3/9/18
to sage-support
I have tried installing Sage but I keep getting error message :

Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make all'):

* package: sagelib-8.1
  log file: /media/kiran/DRIVE/SageMath/logs/pkgs/sagelib-8.1.log
  build directory: /media/kiran/DRIVE/SageMath/local/var/tmp/sage/build/sagelib-8.1

The build directory may contain configuration files and other potentially
helpful information. WARNING: if you now run 'make' again, the build
directory will, by default, be deleted. Set the environment variable
SAGE_KEEP_BUILT_SPKGS to 'yes' to prevent this.

make: *** [all] Error 1

what should i do?

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 9, 2018, 9:20:36 AM3/9/18
to sage-support
post a copy of /media/kiran/DRIVE/SageMath/logs/pkgs/sagelib-8.1.log here

slelievre

Mar 11, 2018, 11:51:42 AM3/11/18
to sage-support

Fri 2018-03-09 07:21:11 UTC:
If you downloaded a binary, no need to run make.

If you downloaded the source, make sure you have
all the prerequisites for running make. In Ubuntu,
this would get you all the prerequisites for Sage and
some of its optional packages.

    sudo apt install binutils gcc g++ gfortran make m4 perl tar git \
      openssl libssl-dev texlive texlive-latex-extras dvipng ffmpeg \
      imagemagick tk tk-dev libcurl-dev perl-tk

It would be helpful to know more about your operating system.

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 12:56:57 PM3/11/18
to sage-support

I have Ubuntu 16.04lts. I also have installed all the prerequisite. I dowloaded the source file from  http://www.sagemath.org/download-source.html

slelievre

Mar 11, 2018, 1:39:28 PM3/11/18
to sage-support
Have you tried running make again?

Is make set up to use multiple cores?
What is the output of this command in a terminal:

    echo $MAKE

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 2:24:02 PM3/11/18
to sage-support

Yes, i tried running make but got the same.
for echo make i got blank.

can you explain this:Is make set up to use multiple cores?

slelievre

Mar 11, 2018, 3:22:35 PM3/11/18
to sage-support
If your computer has several cores and you want to build Sage using
several cores, you can set the environment variable "MAKE" to do so.
For example, if you have 4 cores, you can do

    export MAKE='make -j4'
    make

instead of just

    make

and the build will use 4 cores.

In order to provide help about what could be the cause of the
crash you encountered, as Dima Pasechnik said, it would be
helpful to have the file

    /media/kiran/DRIVE/SageMath/logs/pkgs/sagelib-8.1.log

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 3:33:44 PM3/11/18
to sage-support
uploaded the files that are in the logs/pkgs.

Now I am getting the error:

Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make all'):

The build directory may contain configuration files and other potentially
helpful information. WARNING: if you now run 'make' again, the build
directory will, by default, be deleted. Set the environment variable
SAGE_KEEP_BUILT_SPKGS to 'yes' to prevent this.

make: *** [all] Error 1

config.log
patch-2.7.5.log

slelievre

Mar 11, 2018, 8:06:41 PM3/11/18
to sage-support
I would suggest

    make distclean && make

and in case of a new error, send the appropriate log file here.

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 1:34:15 AM3/12/18
to sage-support

Also i tried
export MAKE="make -j4" from the sage directory.
but i get nothing. (see pic)
config.log
patch-2.7.5.log
install.log

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 2:41:50 AM3/12/18
to sage-support
the result of echo "$make" is in make -j4

Jeroen Demeyer

Mar 12, 2018, 6:01:02 AM3/12/18
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
What is /media/kiran/DRIVE1? If it's a filesystem which does not support
Unix permissions, then it seems that Sage does not support that. I
consider that a bug though...

Jeroen Demeyer

Mar 12, 2018, 6:03:27 AM3/12/18
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 6:17:40 AM3/12/18
to sage-support

I have attached the file sys types
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 3:33:27 PM UTC+5:30, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
Ticket: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24953
Message has been deleted

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 8:26:40 PM3/12/18
to sage-support
Thanks for the help guys.

When I changed the drive file system from ntfs to ext4 it cleared past the error. Now I am getting

Sage build/upgrade complete!

To install small scripts to directly run Sage's versions of GAP,
the PARI/GP interpreter, Maxima, or Singular etc. (by typing e.g.
just 'gap' or 'gp') into a standard 'bin' directory, start Sage
by typing 'sage' (or './sage') and enter something like

    install_scripts('/usr/local/bin')

at the Sage command prompt ('sage:').

should I run sage directly or do something.

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 12, 2018, 9:52:07 PM3/12/18
to sage-support

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 12:26:40 AM UTC, mkira...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the help guys.

When I changed the drive file system from ntfs to ext4 it cleared past the error. Now I am getting

Sage build/upgrade complete!

To install small scripts to directly run Sage's versions of GAP,
the PARI/GP interpreter, Maxima, or Singular etc. (by typing e.g.
just 'gap' or 'gp') into a standard 'bin' directory, start Sage
by typing 'sage' (or './sage') and enter something like

    install_scripts('/usr/local/bin')

at the Sage command prompt ('sage:').

this is not an error, and you don't have to do what's suggested in this message after  the line
"Sage build/upgrade complete!"

should I run sage directly or do something.

at this point you should have working sage.
If you don't like to use the full path to it to start it, you can add a link to it in
~/bin/ or in /usr/local/bin

slelievre

Mar 13, 2018, 4:45:38 AM3/13/18
to sage-support
Tue 2018-03-13 01:52:07 UTC, Dima Pasechnik:
One way to do that in the terminal, from the sage-8.1 directory,
is to run the command

    sudo ln -s `pwd`/sage /usr/local/bin

After that, from any location, running

    sage

will launch Sage.

You can also start other software shipped by Sage. Namely,

    sage --gap
    sage --gp
    sage --ipython
    sage --maxima
    sage --R
    sage --singular

will respectively run the versions of GAP, PARI/GP, IPython,
Maxima, R, Singular, shipped by Sage.

If you then also run this command in the terminal:

    sudo sage -c "install_scripts('/usr/local/bin')"

then you will be able to start these other programs directly by:

    gap
    gp
    ipython
    maxima
    Singular

(if these commands already existed in your system, they will
not be overwritten).

mkira...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 9:05:39 AM3/13/18
to sage-support
Thanks for the replies. Great help. Now sage is working properly. :)

Samuel Lelièvre

Mar 13, 2018, 2:22:00 PM3/13/18
to Sage-support

> Thanks for the replies. Great help. Now sage is working properly. :)

Good that you managed to get a working Sage installation!

Dima suggests to post copied and pasted input and output of
a terminal session, rather than screenshots. I agree for two
reasons: text material can be copied and pasted again (while
a screenshot is less useful in that respect), and eats less
storage and bandwidth. Keep that in mind for next time.  : )