jmol with java 10 and ubuntu 18.04 64bit

Francesco

May 14, 2018, 9:03:02 AM5/14/18
to sage-support
Now sage 8.1 is present in the repositories of ubuntu 18.04 64bit. I have installed sage and i have same problems.
When i try to use 3d-commands in shell mode, and jmol stars, i get this message
RuntimeError: jmol cannot run, no suitable java version found
I read that , in another case, this problem is caused by the incompatibility oj java with jmol. In my case java version is 10. Is this the problem ? Can i solve ugrading java or downgrading to version 8 ?
Thanks

slelievre

May 14, 2018, 10:22:50 AM5/14/18
to sage-support
Mon 2018-05-14 13:03:02 UTC, Francesco:
You can work around these issues by choosing a different viewer,
like "threejs" for instance. For example:

    sage: p = plot3d(lambda x, y: x^2 + y^2, (-2,2), (-2,2))
    sage: p.show(viewer='threejs')
    Launched html viewer for Graphics3d Object

I don't know if there is a way to set threejs as the default viewer
for 3d graphics.

Francesco

May 14, 2018, 12:03:40 PM5/14/18
to sage-support
I know of the existence of this viewer, but the quality and the options of jmol aren't the same.

slelievre

May 14, 2018, 6:08:39 PM5/14/18
to sage-support
Jmol problems with Java 10 have been reported before.
They might be solved by the upgrade to Jmol 14.29.10.
Progress on this is tracked at

- Sage Trac ticket #25026
  Update jmol to version 14.29.10

You could try building Sage from source, modifying the
source by applying the branch on this Sage Trac ticket.

Emmanuel Charpentier

May 15, 2018, 12:10:41 PM5/15/18
to sage-support
I've got that. The easiest workaround was to set the default Java engine to Java 8. In Debian and Debian-derived distributions, this is most-easily done with /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives.

I don't recall having had this problem recently. But Debian testing just recently got Java 10.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Francesco

May 19, 2018, 12:52:06 PM5/19/18
to sage-support
Ok I have got two version of java and I change when I want with /usr/sbin/update-java-
alternatives....jmol needs java 8
Thanks !!