Once sage worked, but now it does not work by doing the same thing.

ana...@g.uky.edu

Apr 17, 2016, 4:12:33 PM4/17/16
to sage-support
I use Mac 10.10.4.

The other day, sage worked.
When I coded
$./sage
in the directory /SageMath in terminal,
sage popped up and I could use it.

But now, if I do the same thing, or if I run the following command,

students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$ pwd
/Users/student/SageMath
students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$ ./sage
students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$

Then, nothing happens.

I wonder what is wrong and how to fix it.

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 17, 2016, 6:24:49 PM4/17/16
to sage-support

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 9:12:33 PM UTC+1, ana...@g.uky.edu wrote:
I use Mac 10.10.4.

The other day, sage worked.
When I coded
$./sage
in the directory /SageMath in terminal,
sage popped up and I could use it.

But now, if I do the same thing, or if I run the following command,

students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$ pwd
/Users/student/SageMath
students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$ ./sage
students-MacBook-Pro:SageMath student$

/SageMath and  /Users/student/SageMath are not the same directories.
Which one did you use the 1st time?

slelievre

Apr 18, 2016, 4:38:30 AM4/18/16
to sage-support

2016-04-17 22:12:33 UTC+2, ana...@g.uky.edu on sage-support:

Maybe the correct directory is /Applications/SageMath?
You could search for "sage" to check where it is located.

Then I would recommend putting a symbolic link
to the `sage` executable somewhere in your PATH,
for instance, assuming the executable is at
/Applications/SageMath/sage, do

$ sudo ln -s /Applications/SageMath/sage /usr/local/bin/sage

and then you can launch Sage from any Terminal window
by just typing

$ sage

ana...@g.uky.edu

May 4, 2016, 5:24:13 PM5/4/16
to sage-support
I am sure that at first I used the path /Users/student/SageMath,
because I did

$cd ~/SageMath
$./sage

Then it worked before but not anymore.

When I changed the directly using
$cd ~/SageMath, I end up at /Users/student/SageMath.

Also, if I tried to find all directories named SageMath,
I get only /Users/student/SageMath.

Could you think of any other thing I can try?
If not, maybe I start the whole download & install process again and see if it works?