8.0 Installation Guide Error

Pstrang Rzekle

Sep 4, 2017, 2:53:27 AM9/4/17
to sage-support
Installation Guide for 8.0, Section "3.7 Installation in a Multiuser Environment"
and also here:

erroneously inform the reader how to install in a system-wide or multi-user environment.

Following Step 3. "Using your normal user account, build Sage.", then Step 4 says:

Make a symbolic link to the sage script in /usr/local/bin: "ln -s /path/to/sage-x.y/sage /usr/local/bin/sage"

Really? Since the "/path/to/sage-x.y/sage" is still in your normal user account, no other "multiuser" can execute the sage script.

Can anyone properly share the process to install for a system-wide/multi-user environment?

Which executables are actually needed?  Should I copy the entire 'local' directory to someplace like /opt/SageMath?  Then what commands to change owner/group and permissions from my normal user?  I don't want to 'chmod 755' everything.

Thank you!

John Cremona

Sep 4, 2017, 4:22:28 AM9/4/17
to SAGE support
On 4 September 2017 at 07:53, Pstrang Rzekle <pst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Installation Guide for 8.0, Section "3.7 Installation in a Multiuser
> Environment"
> and also here:
> http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html#installation-in-a-multiuser-environment
>
> erroneously inform the reader how to install in a system-wide or multi-user
> environment.
>
> Following Step 3. "Using your normal user account, build Sage.", then Step 4
> says:
>
> Make a symbolic link to the sage script in /usr/local/bin: "ln -s
> /path/to/sage-x.y/sage /usr/local/bin/sage"
>
> Really? Since the "/path/to/sage-x.y/sage" is still in your normal user
> account, no other "multiuser" can execute the sage script.

No, you can change the permissions there so all can read and execute.
But see below

> Can anyone properly share the process to install for a
> system-wide/multi-user environment?

This is what I do:

I create a directory /usr/local/sage owned by my normal username
(which of course has to have sudo privileges). Everything happens in
there. In that directory I have 2 sage builds from source, in
separate directories called sage-1 and sage-2, and a symbolic link
sage-current from one of those (the current one) say
/usr/local/sage/sage-1 is linked from /usr/local/sage/sage-current.
After building a new sage in /usr/local/sage/sage-1 I make all that
directory read/executable by all using chmod -r a+rX. Meanwhile
/usr/local/bin/sage is set (once and for all) to be a link to
/usr/local/sage/sage-current/sage.

Now when I want to build a new sage without breaking the current one
even temporarily for users, I use the second directory (say sage-2)
for that. When done and tested I just move the link sage-current to
point to sage-2 instead of sage-1, and users automatically get the new
version. Next time round, the roles of sage-1 and sage-2 are
reversed.

This does use up space of course (on one machine my old 7.6 build is
using up 11G while the current 8.0 uses 9.4G). You could of course
empty out the non-current directory, but then building the new version
will take longer.

There may be cleverer ways of doing things but this works for me. Of
course, I have yet another sage directory under my home directory for
development work which does not touch /usr/local/sage at all.

> Which executables are actually needed? Should I copy the entire 'local'
> directory to someplace like /opt/SageMath? Then what commands to change
> owner/group and permissions from my normal user? I don't want to 'chmod
> 755' everything.
>
> Thank you!

Pstrang

Sep 4, 2017, 11:36:58 AM9/4/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!  I will try something like this.