Building Sage 7.2 from source: Error installing package gcc-4.9.3.p1

paulmasson

May 25, 2016, 12:09:58 PM5/25/16
to sage-support
Running OS X El Capitan 10.11.15 on a year-old Macbook Pro.

Logs attached.
gcc-4.9.3.p1.log
config.log

Volker Braun

May 25, 2016, 12:30:05 PM5/25/16
to sage-support
You need the Xcode command line tools

paulmasson

May 27, 2016, 5:11:57 AM5/27/16
to sage-support
Since I already had Xcode installed these were supposed to be present. A clean install of the command lines tools allowed the process to proceed until I hit this error message:

/Users/Masson/downloads/github/sage/src/build/cythonized/sage/combinat/partitions.cpp:323:26: fatal error: partitions_c.h: No such file or directory

 #include "partitions_c.h"

I've look in the indicated directory and the file is indeed not there. What next?

paulmasson

May 27, 2016, 5:11:57 AM5/27/16
to sage-support
Posted this build error yesterday, but it never appeared in this forum. With a fresh install of command line tools, the build halts with

/Users/Masson/downloads/github/sage/src/build/cythonized/sage/combinat/partitions.cpp:323:26: fatal error: partitions_c.h: No such file or directory
 #include "partitions_c.h"
                          ^
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [sage] Error 1

File is indeed not in the indicated directory.

Jeroen Demeyer

May 27, 2016, 5:17:13 AM5/27/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-05-27 04:30, paulmasson wrote:
> File is indeed not in the indicated directory.

It should be there.

Please try "make sagelib-clean" and then run "make" again and see if the
problem remains...

paulmasson

May 27, 2016, 3:09:44 PM5/27/16
to sage-support
Same error message on first try.

On second try, I manually copied the missing header file from src/sage/combinat into src/build/cythonized/sage/combint after the directory was created.

Got a different error message for another missing header file:

/Users/Masson/downloads/github/sage/src/build/cythonized/sage/combinat/matrices/dancing_links.cpp:319:29: fatal error: dancing_links_c.h: No such file or directory

 #include "dancing_links_c.h"

                             ^

compilation terminated.

Dima Pasechnik

May 27, 2016, 10:27:56 PM5/27/16
to sage-support
Did you use git to get the source, or some other way?
(not sure whether Sage tarballs offered by github are ever tested to work...)

paulmasson

May 27, 2016, 10:41:52 PM5/27/16
to sage-support
Yes, I did git clone of sage.git on github.

Do you think I should just delete it all and start again fresh? Is that the usual way to address such seemingly random errors?

Jeroen Demeyer

May 28, 2016, 3:22:03 AM5/28/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-05-28 04:41, paulmasson wrote:
> Yes, I did git clone of sage.git on github.
>
> Do you think I should just delete it all and start again fresh? Is that the usual way to address such seemingly random errors?

No idea. There is clearly something wrong with your setup but I cannot
tell what...