keyboard shortcuts

Chris Chiasson

Jul 18, 2009, 4:18:02 PM7/18/09
to sage-support
I just want to add that I (eventually) found the following keyboard
shortcuts I was looking for in another thread on the developer's list
and that they should probably be added under the notebook section of
the page shown at:

http://sagemath.org/doc/tutorial/interactive_shell.html?highlight=keyboard

Here are the shortcuts I was looking for:

Create new cell (actually it splits cells, but whatever): Ctrl + Enter
Delete cell (actually it merges cells): Ctrl + Backspace
Evaluate cell (already knew this one from Mathematica): Shift + Enter

--
http://chris.chiasson.name

Jason Grout

Jul 18, 2009, 4:25:07 PM7/18/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for pointing out a place in the docs that should be improved.
These shortcuts (and others) are also documented in the page that comes
up when you click "Help" in the upper right corner of the notebook.
Maybe the tutorial should just say to read that page, if it doesn't already?

Jason

--
Jason Grout

Message has been deleted

Chris Chiasson

Jul 18, 2009, 8:03:22 PM7/18/09
to sage-support
I just realized how I missed this in the notebook help. I clicked the
help link and then hit Ctrl+f and typed in keyboard. It didn't find
any words on the page, so I assumed there was no link to keyboard
shortcuts from the help page. (nevermind actually reading the page
like a sane human being)

On Jul 18, 3:43 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Chris Chiasson<ch...@chiasson.name> wrote:
>
> > I just want to add that I (eventually) found the following keyboard
> > shortcuts I was looking for in another thread on the developer's list
> > and that they should probably be added under the notebook section of
> > the page shown at:
>
> >http://sagemath.org/doc/tutorial/interactive_shell.html?highlight=key...
>
> > Here are the shortcuts I was looking for:
>
> > Create new cell (actually it splits cells, but whatever): Ctrl + Enter
> > Delete cell (actually it merges cells): Ctrl + Backspace
> > Evaluate cell (already knew this one from Mathematica): Shift + Enter
>
> You can find a list of key combinations in the file
>
> SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main/sage/server/notebook/config.py
>
> But I think users should not be expected to look at it. This question
> has come up before; I recently asked it, by the way :-) Yes, I agree
> that keyboard shortcuts should be documented in both the tutorial and
> the reference manual. The Help link on the notebook points to a page
> containing key combinations. So that information should also be
> included. This issue is now ticket #6556
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6556
>
> --
> Regards
> Minh Van Nguyen

Kevin Knaus

Oct 29, 2015, 1:08:27 PM10/29/15
to sage-support
It is now 6 years on from when this post was originally made (2009, currently 2015) and it is proving impossible to find a clear reference to keyboard shortcuts in SAGE. The context I have for this is two fold. One. I note William Stein and others commenting on the low retention rate for SAGE users. Two, if one downloads and installs on Virtualbox the most recent version of SAGE 6.9. It is very problematic to find out how to do simple navigation tasks in the Notebook. No clear hints exist on the notebook active worksheet page or home page on how to find key board settings and what they do.  It is all too easy to get trapped in the downloads page for example. Being a novice user, I like many I am sure, have clicked on downloads, gone there and seen the list of downloaded files. But, for the life of me, nothing seems present to return me to the worksheet I was in or the home page of the notebook session. After hours of searching across multiple days, I finally found a way to get back to the SAGE notebook session from a shell escape to command shell but only if I was originally in the Notebook session worksheet to begin with. (Centos 6.7 in this case, though the same applies to Centos 6.6). A user somewhere mentions trying Right ctrl F2, or R cntrl F7 and finally I find that Rctrl F7 works. But only to get back to the Notebook session from the command line. It doesn't work to get back from the downloads folder. Nor does right clicking in the downloads folder and selecting "Back"... you just seem to be trapped there. It cannot possibly be the case that there is no way back except to restart the VM, can it? So my point is simply, navigation does not need to be so problematic. Finding out how to navigate, does not need to be a major effort. But, if it is, then User Retention goes down. There are of course other reasons. But, some of you involved in the presentation of the information in link below, need to be able to simplify the conceptual presentation of usable information. A simple table of what keys do what things in which VM environments, or Cloud environments...Still don't have a way out of the downloads folder. No wonder retention suffers.

Anthony Wickstead

Oct 30, 2015, 4:42:43 AM10/30/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Wickstead

I think that part of the problem being highlighted here is that the OVA’s that are provided all open a virtual linux browser to access Sage. I use Sage for undergraduate teaching at Queen’s University Belfast which is predominantly Windows based so that we use Sage in a VirtualBox, but have adapted the image provided not to open a linux browser and instead use a Windows browser to access Sage. This has several advantages, such as we control the browser settings and can see different tabs that get opened by Sage and it makes saving files into the Windows environment much easier. It also makes it easier to use the setup in a secure environment (i.e. no other applications allowed) for examination purposes.

Tony Wickstead

Christophe Bal

Oct 30, 2015, 4:48:45 AM10/30/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Hello.

Can you share with us your image ?

Anthony Wickstead

Oct 30, 2015, 8:00:19 AM10/30/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Wickstead

I have just talked to our IT support person who set this up. What he has produced would not work for anyone else without knowledge of our passwords (which he obviously isn’t willing to share) and he doesn’t have time to produce a specific version for distribution. But he does tell me that (apart from tweaks that are only relevant in our teaching laboratory set up) the only changes that he made to the standard ova image was to disable the linux browser being started automatically and to change the keyboard layout. Then you can connect  a windows browser using http://localhost:8000 as the address. Both of those changes just involved, as far as he can remember, editing .xinitrc. Apparently you can open up a terminal to do that using Ctrl-Alt-F2. He got all the information that he needed from http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance.