Sage says pdflatex it not on my path when it definitely is

Jim Mooney

May 3, 2017, 9:20:19 PM5/3/17
to sage-support
When I try to download a Sage file as pdf from the localhost browser I get "nbconvert failed: pdflatex not found on PATH"

Yet it is on the path. I installed full LaTex and a CMD check of the path says it is there, at "C:\texlive\2016\bin\win32" I even checked the folder and pdflatex.exe is definitely there.

Dima Pasechnik

May 4, 2017, 4:19:10 AM5/4/17
to sage-support
You run Sage in the Linux VM, right?
Pdflatex needs to be installed on that Linux system. It does not, and cannot, use anything you have installed on the windows box itself.

Jim Mooney

May 4, 2017, 5:54:21 PM5/4/17
to sage-support

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 1:19:10 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
You run Sage in the Linux VM, right?
Pdflatex needs to be installed on that Linux system. It does not, and cannot, use anything you have installed on the windows box itself.

I finally realized it has to be on CentOS and its path but how do I access CentOS in virtualbox and will it retain values once shut down?

Jim Mooney

May 4, 2017, 6:56:28 PM5/4/17
to sage-support
I appears the shared is on the path since pdflatex processed after I put it in shared, but then it wanted pandoc, which offered no option as to install location. I tried copying it to shared but that didn't work. I think I just need to dual boot linux and avoid all this mess ;)

Jim Mooney

May 4, 2017, 6:59:06 PM5/4/17
to sage-support
Query: How do I edit my own posts to correct an error? I don't see anything to do that in the dropdown.

Dima Pasechnik

May 4, 2017, 7:54:53 PM5/4/17
to sage-support
One cannot edit posts. It's basically a mailing list.

Dima Pasechnik

May 4, 2017, 8:02:57 PM5/4/17
to sage-support, vbrau...@gmail.com
You can do the usual Linux administration things by logging into the Linux console on the VM.
See sections 5 and 6 in https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance/SageMath-7 for details.

I think the new version for the VM should have all these things (pdflatex and pandoc)
installed, as we really want the notebook converter to function.

Jim Mooney

May 10, 2017, 10:53:33 PM5/10/17

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:02:57 PM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
You can do the usual Linux administration things by logging into the Linux console on the VM.
See sections 5 and 6 in https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance/SageMath-7 for details.

I think the new version for the VM should have all these things (pdflatex and pandoc)
installed, as we really want the notebook converter to function.

How and where do I find out when the new version for virtualbox is released, other than continuously checking the website. Is there an alert list or something? Also, when I install the new virtualbox sage is there a way to carry over my settings, or do I have to redo them all?

Dima Pasechnik

May 11, 2017, 4:27:16 AM5/11/17
to sage-support

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 3:53:33 AM UTC+1, Jim Mooney wrote:

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:02:57 PM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
You can do the usual Linux administration things by logging into the Linux console on the VM.
See sections 5 and 6 in https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance/SageMath-7 for details.

I think the new version for the VM should have all these things (pdflatex and pandoc)
installed, as we really want the notebook converter to function.

How and where do I find out when the new version for virtualbox is released, other than continuously checking the website. Is there an alert list or something?

Also, when I install the new virtualbox sage is there a way to carry over my settings, or do I have to redo them all?

If you did changes on the VM image, e.g. installing extra programs in the guest OS, then it will all be lost.
A natural way to preserve them would be to keep the same image, and upgrade Sage there in the way Sage upgrades are done on the non-virtual installations of Sage on Linux.