SageMath installation in macOS Catalina

George

Oct 9, 2019, 6:45:31 AM10/9/19
to sage-support
Hi,

I upgraded to the new macOS Catalina and SageMath won't install. I get errors like "python2.7 cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" and for numerous other components as well.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on what is going on and how to fix this?

Thanks a lot,

David Joyner

Oct 9, 2019, 7:00:37 AM10/9/19
to SAGE support
I can confirm this issue. The problem is also discussed in the thread
That's all I know.

Thanks a lot,

George

Oct 9, 2019, 7:03:53 AM10/9/19
to sage-support
Hi David,

Thanks for the update and information.

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 1:00:37 PM UTC+2, David Joyner wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:45 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I upgraded to the new macOS Catalina and SageMath won't install. I get errors like "python2.7 cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" and for numerous other components as well.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on what is going on and how to fix this?

I can confirm this issue. The problem is also discussed in the thread
That's all I know.

Thanks a lot,

Dima Pasechnik

Oct 9, 2019, 7:14:19 AM10/9/19
to sage-support
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the update and information.

building from source should still work.
Did you try this ?

Dima
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-support...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/1cd586e5-35af-4e39-9322-8e055c144601%40googlegroups.com.

David Joyner

Oct 9, 2019, 7:34:24 AM10/9/19
to SAGE support
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:14 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the update and information.

building from source should still work.
Did you try this ?

I did. It chokes on the gfortran build:

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[7]: *** [gets-chk.lo] Error 1

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[6]: *** [all] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[5]: *** [all-target-libssp] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[4]: *** [all] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] ********************************************************************************

[gfortran-7.4.0] Error building gfortran-7.4.0

[gfortran-7.4.0] ********************************************************************************

Dima

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 1:00:37 PM UTC+2, David Joyner wrote:

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:45 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I upgraded to the new macOS Catalina and SageMath won't install. I get errors like "python2.7 cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" and for numerous other components as well.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on what is going on and how to fix this?

I can confirm this issue. The problem is also discussed in the thread
That's all I know.

Thanks a lot,

George

Oct 9, 2019, 7:38:51 AM10/9/19
to sage-support
Hi,

I did not try building from source, but I guess by David's post that there are issues as well.

Dima

Dima Pasechnik

Oct 9, 2019, 7:42:00 AM10/9/19
to sage-support
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:34 AM David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:14 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the update and information.

building from source should still work.
Did you try this ?

I did. It chokes on the gfortran build:

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[7]: *** [gets-chk.lo] Error 1

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[6]: *** [all] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[5]: *** [all-target-libssp] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] make[4]: *** [all] Error 2

[gfortran-7.4.0] ********************************************************************************

[gfortran-7.4.0] Error building gfortran-7.4.0

[gfortran-7.4.0] ********************************************************************************

is there Homebrew for  Catalina?
Then one can use its gfortran.

David Joyner

Oct 9, 2019, 7:51:48 AM10/9/19
to SAGE support
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:42 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I googled around. Apparently the answer is no
(or not as of a few days ago anyway).

Tom Judson

Oct 9, 2019, 1:22:33 PM10/9/19
to sage-support
I had Sage 8.8 (the app) installed under Mojave.  I upgraded to Catalina, and everything seems to work fine.

Tom

Dima

John H Palmieri

Oct 9, 2019, 1:55:27 PM10/9/19
to sage-support

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 4:51:48 AM UTC-7, David Joyner wrote:

[...]

On a recent beta release of Catalina, I used homebrew to install gfortran, and it went fine, allowing me to build Sage from scratch. I haven't yet tried with the actual release of Catalina, but I will soon.

  John

Dima

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 1:00:37 PM UTC+2, David Joyner wrote:

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:45 AM George <Bono1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I upgraded to the new macOS Catalina and SageMath won't install. I get errors like "python2.7 cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" and for numerous other components as well.

Is anyone having the same problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on what is going on and how to fix this?

I can confirm this issue. The problem is also discussed in the thread
That's all I know.

Thanks a lot,

George

Oct 9, 2019, 2:03:14 PM10/9/19
to sage-support
Hi,

I tried Sage 8.8 (the app) following Tom's comment and it seems to work (thanks Tom).

I'll try building from source and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Any additional updates/news are very welcome in case others are facing similar problems.

Thanks,