Re: {trac,git}.sagemath.org downtime Wednesday 6/22

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 22, 2016, 5:20:13 AM6/22/16
to sage-devel, sagemat...@googlegroups.com, sage-support
there is an issue related to "native git" protocol used to communicate with git server on trac.sagemath.
Namely, if you try to use the URL git://trac.sagemath.org/sage.git for (say) fetch it does not get through.
(probably a GCE firewall blocks the corresponding port).

Using the ssh URL, i.e. g...@trac.sagemath.org:sage.git does work.

Dima

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 4:18:49 PM UTC+1, Erik Bray wrote:
Hi all,

As decided toward the end of another recent thread [1] I willl be
taking down the server at UW which hosts both trac.sagemath.org and
git.sagemath.org, starting around 8:00 A.M. CEST.  There are at least
three reasons for this:

1. Mitigate issues related to reliance upon university IT
infrastructure over which we have little control [2][3] or influence
2. Move to tier 1 cloud-based hosting for greater ease of deployment
and (hopefully) better reliability
3. Address current and ongoing preformance / access issues with the
Trac site, which are possibly related to 1

An additional change to be aware of is that access to
trac.sagemath.org, as well as the git web interface at
git.sagemath.org will be switched to HTTPS *only*.  HTTP redirects
will be set up, but please update any URLs nonetheless.

Other than that, with a little luck you should notice few or any
differences.  Please keep in mind though that the current Sage Trac
infrastructure has a layer of grime and mold over it, and it's
entirely possible I've missed a few spots while shining it up.  So if
anything isn't working after the migration please be patient and
cooperate by sending notice either to
sagemat...@googlegroups.com, or to me personally*.

Best,
Erik

* The offer to e-mail me personally about such issues expires some
indeterminate amount of time after the migration is completed.  I want
to be on-call for migration-related issues, but in general support
issues should be sent to one of the mailing lists where they can be
handled by the best personal available at the moment.

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/EKhgXsdKMhY/52fKpHDBAQAJ
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/Xw6CNq1lyiI/aeyT5TluDQAJ
[3] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/Xw6CNq1lyiI/APzgctSUDQAJ