Using newer version of Jupyter 5.0 under SageMath 8.0

Mauricio Calvao

Aug 31, 2017, 8:23:08 AM8/31/17
to sage-support
Hi

I have SageMath 8.0 installed under my Debian desktop and use it typically through Jupyter notebooks, particularly for SageManifolds calculations.

I would like to select some cells from a given Jupyter notebook, and then copy and paste them to another different Jupyter notebook, in another tab of the same bowser window, in which I have them running. According to some googling, this might work under Jupyter 5.0. The fact is, however, that the default Jupyter notebook version coming with SageMath 8.0 is 4.4.1, not 5.0.

Is it possible to install a newer version of Jupyter inside SageMath? If so, how do I do it?

Another workaround would be if someone told me the exact steps to accomplish copy/pasting of several cells between distinct notebooks...

Thanks

William Stein

Aug 31, 2017, 10:56:01 AM8/31/17
to sage-support
For what it is worth, on https://cocalc.com (a site some of us Sage
devs run), you can:

1. Open several Jupyter notebooks directly inside the project (you
can upload them), and then copy and paste ranges of cells between them
will just work. Our Jupyter in CoCalc is a completely new
implementation of Jupyter, but it is file format compatible. When
doing this implementation, I implemented copy/paste within a given
browser tab, which is enough, since you can open multiple notebooks in
the same tab.

2. Use Sage 8 in Jupyter 5 by creating a project, then clicking the
"Plain Jupyter Server" link in project settings -- you may have to
refresh once or twice though, since it takes a little time for the
server to startup, but the proxying to the server times out pretty
quickly. You can also just switch to "Classical Jupyter" mode from 1.

3. Finally, open a terminal (+New --> Terminal) and look at
/ext/jupyter/kernels:

~$ ls /ext/jupyter/kernels/
anaconda3 calysto_prolog ir julia pari_jupyter python2
python3 sage-8.0 sagemath singular
bash gap ir-sage octave postgres
python2-ubuntu sage-7.6 sage-develop scala211 vpython

This contains all of our working "recipes" for using various versions
of Sage, etc., with a system-wide install of Jupyter (rather than
whatever jupyter is in sage).

4. Install our Docker image on your own computer instead and do 1, 2, or 3:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc/blob/master/src/dev/docker/README.md

-- William

> Thanks
>
> --