Problem with upgrade on OS X

Arvind Ayyer

Sep 6, 2017, 9:27:55 AM9/6/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Dear developers,

I'm trying to upgrade from 6.7 to the current version using my git account (userid: ayyer) using the guidelines from the TentativeConventions file.

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch with OS X  (version 10.8.5). The processor is a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5. I had managed to get Sage 6.7 running with a lot of help from Karl-Dieter Crisman (installing Xcode, figuring out various funny errors, etc!).

The error occurred while installing openblas-0.2.19.p0. As per the instructions generating the error message, I'm emailing you the log file and the crash report file.

Please let my know if you need any more information from me. If this is too much trouble, could you tell me if there is an easy way to get back to version 6.7 instead?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Regards,
Arvind

PS: arv...@iisc.ac.in is my new email address. Please update your addressbook.

openblas-0.2.19.p0.log
Sage_crash_report.txt

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 6, 2017, 10:14:04 AM9/6/17
to sage-support

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 2:27:55 PM UTC+1, Arvind Ayyer wrote:

Dear developers,

I'm trying to upgrade from 6.7 to the current version using my git account (userid: ayyer) using the guidelines from the TentativeConventions file.

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch with OS X  (version 10.8.5). The processor is a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5. I had managed to get Sage 6.7 running with a lot of help from Karl-Dieter Crisman (installing Xcode, figuring out various funny errors, etc!).

The error occurred while installing openblas-0.2.19.p0. As per the instructions generating the error message, I'm emailing you the log file and the crash report file.

You are using an old version of gcc; the current Sage's gcc is version 5.4.
(that was the one in 6.7, I guess).

It might be much better to build a new Sage version from source; upgrading from such an old version
won't give you any time saving, as you'd have to rebuild basically all of Sage anyway.

Please let my know if you need any more information from me. If this is too much trouble, could you tell me if there is an easy way to get back to version 6.7 instead?

if you are on the git tree, you might be able check out the right branch and rebuild.

Arvind Ayyer

Sep 7, 2017, 11:56:03 AM9/7/17
to sage-support
Thanks a lot, Dima! I managed to downgrade to 6.7 successfully for now. Once I upgrade my gcc, I'll go for the latest version.

Regards,
Arvind

John H Palmieri

Sep 7, 2017, 12:53:54 PM9/7/17
to sage-support
Sage will build its own gcc, so as long as you have some functioning version of gcc, you shouldn't need to worry about upgrading that. Just try installing a new version of Sage (from scratch, not by upgrading 6.7) and see what happens.

  John

kcrisman

Sep 7, 2017, 1:33:51 PM9/7/17
to sage-support

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 12:53:54 PM UTC-4, John H Palmieri wrote:
Sage will build its own gcc, so as long as you have some functioning version of gcc, you shouldn't need to worry about upgrading that.

As a technical matter for any future reader of this thread, some gcc's are so old that one would actually have to build an intermediate form to build the current gcc in Sage.   I've experienced that with some gcc 4.x.  But Arvind's computer should be substantially newer than that so I'm sure it won't be a problem.  Hope you are successful with John's suggestion!  Perhaps we'll meet again someday :)