Advices in "Git the Hard Way" don't work for me

Simon King

Feb 23, 2017, 10:50:50 AM2/23/17
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

"Git the Hard Way" in the development manual tells me to do
git clone git://github.com/sagemath/sage.git

It doesn't work for me:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname

What can I do to solve the problem?

Cheers,
Simon

Harald Schilly

Feb 23, 2017, 10:53:58 AM2/23/17
to sage-support

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 4:50:50 PM UTC+1, Simon King wrote:
  git clone git://github.com/sagemath/sage.git

when you clone from github via the ssh protocol, you need to be part of the repository. click on the "https" link or button there where you got the link in github, then you'll see the https url to clone from

-- h

Ashutosh Ahelleya

Feb 28, 2017, 8:06:10 AM2/28/17
to sage-support
Heyy,

There are two possibilities why you might be facing this:
  1. You are not a part of the repository.
  2. Your connection (WiFi/any other) is having issues cloning the repository using ssh.

An alternative to this is to clone it using https rather than using ssh. Instead of the command you type, use the following command:

git clone https://github.com/sagemath/sage.git

Hope this helps :)

Regards,

Ashutosh Ahelleya