Unhandled SIGILL on Debian Testing

Eric Culver

Nov 22, 2016, 4:47:48 AM11/22/16
to sage-support
I am running Debian Testing (Stretch). I downloaded the binaries for sage from http://www.sagemath.org/download.html .
Whenever I try to run Sage, it produces to following error:
Unhandled SIGILL: An illegal instruction occurred.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* module has a bug
in it and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off().
Python will now terminate.
Illegal instruction
Along with a long list of Python libraries.
The full (edited for privacy) error output is attached.

The FAQs page at https://wiki.sagemath.org/faq#Other_questions claims to have a solution, but this solution makes no sense.
The "rm" removes nothing (in fact the folder "spkg" doesn't even exist) and the "make" makes more than just ATLAS and MPIR.
errors

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 22, 2016, 6:32:03 AM11/22/16
to sage-support

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 9:47:48 AM UTC, Eric Culver wrote:
I am running Debian Testing (Stretch). I downloaded the binaries for sage from http://www.sagemath.org/download.html .
Whenever I try to run Sage, it produces to following error:
Unhandled SIGILL: An illegal instruction occurred.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* module has a bug
in it and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off().
Python will now terminate.
Illegal instruction
Along with a long list of Python libraries.
The full (edited for privacy) error output is attached.

the binary you use has instructions not understood by your CPU.
This is (almost) fixed in the recent beta, I think here: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21850