ask.sagemath.org

Mike Hansen

Jun 28, 2014, 10:59:43 PM6/28/14
to sage-devel, sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We've recently updated http://ask.sagemath.org to the newest version
of askbot and installed some additional tools to help with spam. New
users should be able to register and post questions, but they will
have to complete a reCAPTCHA until they reach karma 10.

Let me know if you have any issues with the new site.

--Mike

Vincent Delecroix

Jun 29, 2014, 6:38:50 AM6/29/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the work! It is cool to have it back!

- Do the e-mailing feature now work?
- Who are admins (i.e. have access to the admin interface of django)?
Is it possible to become one to do maintainance (i.e. merge the
keywords, find possible duplicates, etc)?
- What happend to the VM that Niles was opening at his university?

Best,
Vincent

Vincent Delecroix

Jun 29, 2014, 9:01:55 AM6/29/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-s...@googlegroups.com
By the way, could we remove the captcha for users with 100+ karma?

Vincent

William Stein

Jun 29, 2014, 11:18:14 AM6/29/14
to sage-devel, sage-support
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Vincent Delecroix
<20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, could we remove the captcha for users with 100+ karma?

The admin page setting already has that it should be removed for users
with 10+ karma, as far as I can tell:

Become approved Approved users bypass moderation and skip recaptcha
Default value: 10

I guess the turn-captcha-off functionality is broken, because I just
got very frustrated trying to answer a captcha (which took me several
tries) and I have way more than 10 karma, and am an admin.

William

> Vincent
>
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Vincent Delecroix

Jun 29, 2014, 11:27:46 AM6/29/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-support
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Vincent Delecroix
> <20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> By the way, could we remove the captcha for users with 100+ karma?
>
> The admin page setting already has that it should be removed for users
> with 10+ karma, as far as I can tell:
>
> Become approved Approved users bypass moderation and skip recaptcha
> Default value: 10
>
> I guess the turn-captcha-off functionality is broken, because I just
> got very frustrated trying to answer a captcha (which took me several
> tries) and I have way more than 10 karma, and am an admin.

Too bad. Can I have access to the machine where it is installed? I
would like to debug it as it is *very* annoying!

Vincent

j_post

Jun 29, 2014, 2:57:33 PM6/29/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 29 June 2014 08:17:30 William Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Vincent Delecroix
>
> <20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > By the way, could we remove the captcha for users with 100+ karma?
>
> The admin page setting already has that it should be removed for users
> with 10+ karma, as far as I can tell:
>
> Become approved Approved users bypass moderation and skip recaptcha
> Default value: 10
>
> I guess the turn-captcha-off functionality is broken, because I just
> got very frustrated trying to answer a captcha (which took me several
> tries) and I have way more than 10 karma, and am an admin.
>
> William

FWIW, in my experience, using CentOS and Firefox, captchas fail to work around
99.9% of the time. Even when the captcha is readable and I type it in
correctly, it still fails and goes into an infinite loop with a new captcha
every time.

I don't do business with sites that require captchas. Guess that means I'll
never have karma ;-)

Jeff

William Stein

Jun 29, 2014, 3:08:07 PM6/29/14
to sage-support
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM, j_post <j_p...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 June 2014 08:17:30 William Stein wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Vincent Delecroix
>>
>> <20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > By the way, could we remove the captcha for users with 100+ karma?
>>
>> The admin page setting already has that it should be removed for users
>> with 10+ karma, as far as I can tell:
>>
>> Become approved Approved users bypass moderation and skip recaptcha
>> Default value: 10
>>
>> I guess the turn-captcha-off functionality is broken, because I just
>> got very frustrated trying to answer a captcha (which took me several
>> tries) and I have way more than 10 karma, and am an admin.
>>
>> William
>>
> FWIW, in my experience, using CentOS and Firefox, captchas fail to work around
> 99.9% of the time. Even when the captcha is readable and I type it in
> correctly, it still fails and goes into an infinite loop with a new captcha
> every time.

Mike has already fixed the above issue...

> I don't do business with sites that require captchas. Guess that means I'll
> never have karma ;-)

And admin will add karma for you. Are you this user:
http://ask.sagemath.org/users/2567/jeff/

j_post

Jun 29, 2014, 3:53:34 PM6/29/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 29 June 2014 12:07:21 William Stein wrote:

> > FWIW, in my experience, using CentOS and Firefox, captchas fail to work
> > around 99.9% of the time. Even when the captcha is readable and I type it
> > in correctly, it still fails and goes into an infinite loop with a new
> > captcha every time.
>
> Mike has already fixed the above issue...

Good to know. Thanks!

> > I don't do business with sites that require captchas. Guess that means
> > I'll never have karma ;-)
>
> And admin will add karma for you. Are you this user:
> http://ask.sagemath.org/users/2567/jeff/

Don't think so. So far I've only subscribed to sage-support.

Jeff Post