Upgrade from MacOS El Capitan to MacOS Sierra prevents connection to localhost 8000

Ken Smith

Apr 2, 2017, 6:53:36 PM4/2/17
to sage-support
Hi,

I have been running Sage 4.7.2-OSX-64bit-10.6 on a Mac under OS El Capitan and it has been great.  When I run the Sage application, it opens a browser window where I have links to worksheets, all apparently based at http://localhost:8000.

This weekend I upgraded to MacOS Sierra version 10.12.4 without problems ... EXCEPT now when I run Sage the startup window in my browser gets an error:

This site can’t be reached

localhost refused to connect.

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

This happens regardless of the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari.)  It has been awhile (3 or 4 years) since I installed Sage and I'd like to avoid reinstalling it ....  Is there a simple solution to this problem?  I've had no problems with Sage previously.

thanks, Ken

Andrew

Apr 3, 2017, 2:09:41 AM4/3/17
to sage-support
I doubt that this has anything to do with sage and, instead, apple broke something in their update and you need to re-enable your local webserver. As a first step try

sudo apachectl configtest

and see what error messages this gives. Hopefully this will tell you what to fix. Failing that, try having a look at https://web.archive.org/web/20161018141829/http://digitalshore.io/local-web-development-environment-apache-macos-sierra-10-12/, which is a comprehensive guide to setting up apache on a mac.

Volker Braun

Apr 3, 2017, 1:28:31 PM4/3/17
to sage-support
I don't think that old version of Sage runs on sierra, you need to get a more recent latest version.

kcrisman

Apr 3, 2017, 10:54:01 PM4/3/17
to sage-support

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 1:28:31 PM UTC-4, Volker Braun wrote:
I don't think that old version of Sage runs on sierra, you need to get a more recent latest version.

Yeah, I agree that a Sage binary built for 10.6 has not much chance of running on 10.12.  There should be some errors in the Terminal showing up if you do this (or the Console, possibly).  There would be a fairly large number of new features in the newer Sage, and it's free :) so perhaps that is a better solution for you?