Sage 8.2.rc2 released

Volker Braun

Apr 10, 2018, 7:25:27 PM4/10/18
to sage-release
As always, you can get the latest beta version from the "develop" git branch. Alternatively, the self-contained source tarball is at http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html

303efaa461 (tag: 8.2.rc2) Updated SageMath version to 8.2.rc2
ddc916154c Trac #25056: Fix the Sage banner
68b9379ceb Trac #25113: OSX is f*ed up sometimes
58706293f1 Trac #25088: Fix miscellaneous issues with Jmol, particularly on newer Java versions
08ce905a91 Trac #25047: Add sage --ipython3 command
9a36e82434 Trac #25082: Fix symbolic power of matrix
df7c9bc07a Trac #25077: Broken doctest involving TotallyOrderedFiniteSet
fb44c97e90 Trac #25024: PCRE fails to build on Linux i686
9d672d3229 Trac #24484: nbconvert broken after the upgrade to Jupyter 5.2.1
f2db3b809b Trac #25050: Allow braid computation for more links
fb9f38a4ae (tag: 8.2.rc1) Updated SageMath version to 8.2.rc1

Justin C. Walker

Apr 11, 2018, 12:02:38 AM4/11/18
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 16:25 , Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As always, you can get the latest beta version from the "develop" git branch. Alternatively, the self-contained source tarball is at http://www.sagemath.org/download-latest.html

Built from a fresh clone/update of the develop branch on macOS 10.11.6 (Quad-core Core i7) w/o problems, and all tests (‘testing’) passed!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------

Eric Gourgoulhon

Apr 11, 2018, 12:59:53 PM4/11/18
to sage-release
On Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 Xeon E5-2623 + 16 GB RAM, from a fresh git clone + pull develop, parallel (-j16) build OK and make ptestlong passed except for a single transient error to due to "Jmol failed to create file", as usual on this computer (race error?). The doctest is passed when run standalone.

Eric.

Erik Bray

Apr 12, 2018, 5:09:51 AM4/12/18
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
That's weird about jmol--I haven't seen that, but I don't think the
Linux machine I do most builds on has a Java runtime installed so of
course I wouldn't see it. I should try to reproduce that at some
point if I can...

Looks fine on Windows but still needs this critical patch for the
tests before release:

Erik Bray

Apr 12, 2018, 5:10:41 AM4/12/18
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Didn't mean to send. Still needs these patches for Windows:

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25107
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25137

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 12, 2018, 5:32:00 AM4/12/18
to sage-release
#25118 has a fix for the OSX issue on #25113, it would be great to get it in (and so clang default on OSX).

Emmanuel Charpentier

Apr 12, 2018, 2:55:22 PM4/12/18
to sage-release
FWIW, 8.2rc2 +  Trac#24585 + Trac#24969  builds and passes ptestlong without any failure whatsoever on Debian testing running on core i7 + 16 GB RAM.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Samuel Lelièvre

Apr 12, 2018, 5:21:52 PM4/12/18
to sage-release
On macOS 10.10.5 (aka "Yosemite"), with Homebrew installed,
after renaming /usr/local and /opt/local so they don't interfere,
building Sage 8.2.rc2 succeeds.

However, trying to install jupyterlab via pip does not work:

    $ sage --pip install jupyterlab
    Collecting jupyterlab
      Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/jupyterlab/:
      There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: [SSL:
      TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version
      (_ssl.c:661) - skipping
      Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
      jupyterlab (from versions: )
    No matching distribution found for jupyterlab

​(while it worked fine with Sage 8.2.rc1).

Does anyone else observe that too?

Samuel Lelièvre

Apr 12, 2018, 6:28:18 PM4/12/18
to sage-release
A quick web search reveals this:

- StackOverflow question:
- Answer by original poster to above question:

So I will try the upgrade to pip 9.0.3 which is part of

- Sage trac ticket #25051: Add DESTDIR support to additional
  Python packages; upgrade pip to latest patch release

Samuel Lelièvre

Apr 13, 2018, 2:34:09 PM4/13/18
to sage-release
Upgrading to pip 9.0.3 allowed me to "sage --pip install" stuff.
I made #25051 a blocker. I hope it can be part of the next
release candidate, and eventually of the Sage 8.2 release.

Henri Girard

Apr 13, 2018, 4:16:52 PM4/13/18
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

On linux sage 8.1 jupylab install perfect.

But as I have a problem with my sage in user location (without sudo)

I do sage -sh

and then pip install jupyterlab upgrade (normal installation)

Eric Gourgoulhon

Apr 24, 2018, 9:01:38 AM4/24/18
to sage-release
Hi Erik,

Le jeudi 12 avril 2018 11:09:51 UTC+2, Erik Bray a écrit :
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Eric Gourgoulhon
<egourg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 Xeon E5-2623 + 16 GB RAM, from a fresh git clone +
> pull develop, parallel (-j16) build OK and make ptestlong passed except for
> a single transient error to due to "Jmol failed to create file", as usual on
> this computer (race error?). The doctest is passed when run standalone.

That's weird about jmol--I haven't seen that, but I don't think the
Linux machine I do most builds on has a Java runtime installed so of
course I wouldn't see it.  I should try to reproduce that at some
point if I can...

A few more data points:
- these Jmol errors are random (they don't appear in the same files each time I run make ptestlong, i.e. at each new develop release).
- I don't have them in my other Ubuntu 16.04 computer: both computers have the same software settings, they only differ by the CPU: Xeon E5-2623 vs. Core i7-6700HQ
- on the faulty computer (the Xeon one), these Jmol errors started to show up only after a certain Sage release (I don't remember which one but I may dig into messages on this list to find it).

Best wishes,

Eric.